Join Shelby Forums Today

Spare tire question

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Jimmy J1, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Jimmy J1

Jimmy J1 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    On a 67 GT500, what would have come from the factory as a spare tire/wheel? I have a space saver now.

2. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Normally (though dealers often tried to sell a 5th aluminum wheel if the car was ordered with four of them) a 15" steel wheel and Goodyear Speedway 350 tire (small letters and large)

3. Magstar

Magstar Well-Known Member

Did some speedways have larger letters than others Ihave noticed this in pictures .I just ordered a set from Kelsey will they be large or small letter???

4. SuperCJcat

SuperCJcat Well-Known Member

My buddy is the original owner of his 67 GT350 with deluxe wheels....it still has the original spare which is a speedway on a 10 spoke

5. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

My 67 came with a Margstar as the spare wheel.
    I can't keep it straight about the large lettered/small lettered Speedway 350 Doesn't matter as the repops only come one way, right?

And, the "space saver" spare tire was introduced in the 1969 model year

6. Snakepit

Here is a picture of the small letter spare (kept it) from the last 350 I had.

Last small letter tire was one I found on a 67 T-Bird (for some odd reason) at a Pick-n-Pull ;)

[​IMG]

7. KensKR

KensKR Well-Known Member

Who would ever think you would find a Goodyear Speedway 350 at pick-n-pull

8. Snakepit

Just got to keep your eyes open. Found a 68 KR type starter delay on a station wagon there one day also. ;)

9. Jimmy J1

Jimmy J1 Well-Known Member

Thanks! So now, does the jack/lug wrench go under or on top of the wheel? I've seen both ways on others cars.

10. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

It goes just like the decals says it does. In short, lay the lug wrench down with the hole in the side facing up, lay the rivet of the jack into the hole, lay the spare on top of it.

11. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi folks this topic was discussed at length years ago with the mca and local clubs.The outcome was that any car ordered from the factory with special wheels,should also have a matching spare wheel.This helps explain why some cars have a plain steel wheel as spare,and others have matching deluxe spare wheels.They are stored with the jack and lug wrench underneath them,like a standard mustang.The current reproduction tires are all large letter style.From a practical standpoint the space saver is a nice way to really utilize the most out of a small trunk,if you are after points at a show you need the correct stuff,and you can gain a lot of points easily with a correctly detailed trunk.Hope this helps you out.

12. Snakepit

That can often be the issue "years ago" ;) allot of things and understandings change over the years. What is expected is allot different today than lets say twenty or even five years ago. Just a general statement of course.

13. patty.dilabio

I agree 100% that much more is expected now and the good thing is we now have some documents available which help us back these claims,like marti reports for 67-73 cars.And build sheets that show info like tires and wheels supplied by vendor (Shelby)Remember both Ford and Shelby did not give things away,and the dealer was often used to fill the gap..like in 65 only about 1/3 of the cars were striped by Shelby yet how many plain 65's do you see?It was less than a $75 option...but the selling dealer often did the job to help sell an expensive car,and keep a customer happy This also explains the reason that some stripes are on cars that did not get them at the factory,and the dementions are not even close.Wheels are much easier to change,and cost more..but keep in mind Shelby was a Goodyear distributor for several years and knew that a speed rated tire really helped,both the car and his pocket book.I think this was standard policy from 65-67.In 68 when Ford took over production it changed.'QQQQQ

MMMBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBLL

14. patty.dilabio

Sorry if that was long winded...I was going to edit but my son decided to help me.my apologies..:)

15. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Not sure how the tire policy changed in 68 as they were the same as 67. I think the tires even got better on the 69/70s.
    Tim

16. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

Just came across this thread. I had my wheels refinished and I am putting the spare back in the trunk. Does anyone have a picture they can send that shows how these should look in the trunk?

Mike

17. Snakepit

Mike, old thread that got off track a bit. Are you mounting a space saver or standard wheel?

18. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

I was the original owner of 1967 Shelby GT350, #1111. It came equipped
    with a full set of five (5) optional Kelsey-Hayes MagStars.
    shlby66

19. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

I have 5 original Magstars for my 67 GT500, so a full spare.

While we are at it, I need this information/picture for my KR convert as well. I have an original Kelsey-Hayes wheel and original E70 spare.

Mike

20. Snakepit

Here you go... hope it helps

[​IMG]