Join Shelby Forums Today

Aluminum Vs Fiberglass

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by mherman2, Feb 15, 2007.

1. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

Hey there, I was looking at a 1965 4000csx car for sale with 4000 miles on it. It's fiberglass and everyone I talk to says you should buy an aluminum car. The guy is asking $139k and I see Aluminum cars sell for close to that but never a fiberglas car.

I know Mustangs but too well versed on Cobras.

Mike

2. ChiCobra

ChiCobra Well-Known Member

I bought the glass car because it is more versatile. Less likely to get dents and dings. Painted, you can't tell the glass car from the metal.

3. Tout

Tout Well-Known Member

Way to much for a glass car, you can buy a new Aluminum car for that amount and my even see it sooner.
    Tout

4. csx4756

csx4756 Member

I'll sell you mine for 129K:)

5. Seaweed

Seaweed Well-Known Member

I think shelby built that 4000 series starting at 60--70000 without drivetrain. I think he uses super performanse [ ? ] bodies. Even with shelb.own allum. engines IMO it's a little high, for me anyway.-----S.

6. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

For originality the alum. cars are what people go for, and spend way more $$$. CSX Fiberglass cars are made in Mexico, and yes, Superformance will manufacture the CSX replicas if required by CSI. People pay the big bucks for the CSX serial number, quite a bit over what you'd spend for a Superformance, but SPF now has "Built under license from Carroll Shelby" on the serial plates for the Cobra and Daytona Coupe if that's important to a buyer who's also thinking of resale. For someone who wants to drive and have fun, 'glass is the way to go, if it's damaged, it's an easy fix by any competent body shop who can do fiberglass. If an Alum. car is pranged, it's going to be one costly repair job. Personally, I think the CSX car you've mentioned, for $139k is way overpriced even if it had a $30k Shelby big block under the hood. A good SPF used car should be in the $40-60k range depending on engine, miles, etc.