Join Shelby Forums Today

Famous Shelby Owners

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by SaleenS7R, Feb 12, 2007.

1. SaleenS7R

SaleenS7R Member

Seeing the Jim Morrison thread got me thinking....
    How many Shelby Mustangs have been owned by Famous people or celebrities. Obviously there's the Jim Morrison 67 GT500, and I recall seeing Alice Cooper's 69 GT350 was auctioned off a couple of years ago. Any others?

2. cobreen

cobreen Well-Known Member

Kevin Costner-1968 GT350 convertible.Used it in a baseball movie?

3. Seaweed

Seaweed Well-Known Member

Fred Couples the golfer, 68 conv. ---S.

4. SuperCJcat

SuperCJcat Well-Known Member

Madonna bought Sean Penn a 68 GT500 conv for a wedding present....I think it was sold not to long after...

5. shelby Guy

shelby Guy Well-Known Member

Well of course theres the play boy shelbies !

6. mrdoc442

mrdoc442 Well-Known Member

Sammy Hagar had a 1967 Shelby GT500 that was sold on Barrett-Jackson in 2006 for $270,000.

"This is Sammy Hagar's 1967 Shelby GT500 that he has owned since 1989! Listed in the Shelby Regstry, this car was a personal project of Sammy's and was rebuilt in 1992/93! Features a solid lifter 427 Tunnel Port motor and Detroit locker! The car was originally ordered with a standard non-louver hood, no A/C, an automatic and in Nightmist Blue. The Red Rocker "Can't Drive 55" so it was painted Guards Red/Black stripes and modifed with plenty of Ford speed parts! Sammy Hagar is including with this car one of his personal guitars and a signed case of Cabo Wabo Tequila in the trunk!"

Bill Cosby also had a Supersnake - CSX3303 a twin to CSX3015 that sold for $5.5 million in the 2007 Barrett-Jackson, that was sold to another gentleman who wrecked it, and perished in the wreck.

"Cobra To End All Cobras" by Harley E. Cluxton
    I've been asked to comment on the authentication of CSX 3015 and its relevance in and to the collector world. In the last ten years, there has been an astronomical increase in values running through almost every facet of the collector car market.
    With vast amounts of dollars, euros, sterling and yen changing hands, it is no wonder that Manufacturers like Ferrari, Mercedes Benz, Porsche and Jaguar all have their own 'official' Certification Centers. With the blessing of Carroll Shelby, the Shelby American Automobile Club, through its' Shelby American World Registry, lists every Cobra, every Shelby Mustang, and every Ford GT by chassis number with its known ownership history. Originality is the operative word in Collector Car Values. Generally, the degree of originality coupled with pedigree and limited production drives the price.
    CSX 3015 is absolutely the real deal.
    CSX 3015 is one of only 23 (not 22) 427 competition roadsters built;

On September 7, 1965 CSX 3015 was shipped and invoiced to Ford Advanced Vehicles, England as a 427 Cobra Competition roadster together with CSX 3014 (another 427 Cobra Competition) and two R-model Shelby's (5R107 and 5R209) for a European promotional tour.
    It returned back from Europe in late 1966 still as a 427 Cobra Competition.
    Sometime early to mid 1967, CSX 3015 was transformed into the Super Snake and reclassified as 427 Cobra Semi-Competition (S.C.).
    The reason was quite simple; a 427 Cobra Competition didn't have mufflers, windshield, bumpers, etc. It was a race car only and not street legal.
    Although many SC's were raced and never saw a public road- all 427 Cobra SC's had titles and were legal to drive on public roads.
    427 competition and SC Cobras have different hips and noses. The February 1968 Road & Track pictures clearly show the hips and nose of a 427 competition roadster, not an SC.

As history shows, CSX 3015 is one of two Super Snake Cobras built. The other being CSX 3303 built for Bill Cosby. CSX 3303 was a 1967 427 street car retained by Shelby American as a PR car and then made into a Super Snake for Bill Cosby. Cosby's record album titled '200 MPH' attests to the fact of why he only drove it once before returning it to Shelby American. Shelby American sold it to S and C Motors in San Francisco, who then sold it to their customer, Tony Maxey. Maxey destroyed himself and CSX 3303 by driving off of a cliff and into the Pacific Ocean. Sadly, Brian Angliss only opted to revive CSX 3303 leaving Mr. Maxey the only one still dead! This copy of CSX 3303 exists in the U.K. today and probably will be offered at an auction. It has absolutely no collector value.
    I know Competition Cobras and have had a ten year ownership history with an original, unmolested 427 Cobra Competition CSX 3017. When CSX 3015 arrived home, in Scottsdale, CSX 3017 was already on jack stands for comparison. After thorough inspection, I can state that CSX 3015 is a full Competition Roadster, still retaining its original body with its 1967 aluminum 'Super Snake' hood. Steve Davis and I scraped through two layers of paint; black and Viking blue to find its' brilliant Guardsman Blue.

It has its original date coded 1965 Competition Girling CR and BR calipers.
    It still has its' 427 Competition 377 rear end with its' original rear end oil cooler and pumps.
    Unbelievably, it still has its' original 1965 date coded engine block, 5M17, December 17, 1965.
    I found that 3015 still had its' original headers with its' original chromed side pipes that had been spray painted flat black!

In fact, I found CSX 3015 so 'period original' I have opted to renew instead of restore.
    Why is CSX 3015 so historically significant?
    The short and long answer is Carroll Shelby.

He built at a time when Americans were just Americans- and proud to be Americans.
    He told me he built it just to see how fast it was- and he told me it was a Monster that threw belts off on a regular basis!
    Steve Earl told me he remembers Carroll driving CSX 3015 in the 'Turismo Visitadores' fun-run across Nevada, waking whole towns, blowing out windows, throwing belts and catching fire a couple of times, but finishing."

Doc

7. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

What about the cars used on tv shows. Bill Cosby show he drove a 69 Shelby
    convert and the chief on Get Smart drove a 68 Shelby.

8. SuperCJcat

SuperCJcat Well-Known Member

9. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Another member of Van Halin had a 1969 Shelby G.T. 500 Convertible. Sold it at the same auction as Sammy Hargar. The buyers of the two Shelby's also received special Guitars.

10. jbsteven

jbsteven Well-Known Member

It's Van Halen and Sammy Hagar. :cool:

11. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hello everyone in this blog! Did you forget Steve Mcqueen and his black 289 Cobra ? There was/is a good picture of him and Mr. Shelby with the brick building of the venice shop in the background..Others include Ray Connif and a silver 289 cobra,on an album cover.And Carrol Conners was a multiple Cobra owner--her song really helped the popularity of an all new sports car.
    I think that Oliver North was a 1968 shelby owner as well. A last but not least entry would be actor Lee Marvin and a 1968 KR convertible.And Tim Allen had a car featured in a magazine with a chrome hammer head for a shifter handle, it was a KR convertible.I would imagine there are many more we have yet to mention..... it does prove a point,it is the people that are involved with these cars that make them so interesting.
    Enjoy!

12. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Gary Lewis from Gary Lewis and the Playboys owned a 66 GT350.
    King of Sweden, maybe not famous in the US but he is a real
    gearhead and owns a 65 Cobra and a 66 GT350 among many
    other cars. Shelby was building him a Pro-Street 66 Mustang some
    10 years ago as well. In fact I got him to be a member in SAAC
    many years ago when I lived in Sweden. The Royal Court called me
    and asked how he could become a member so I sent them SAAC
    registration papers.
    Texas Swede

13. SaleenS7R

SaleenS7R Member

Wow! Quite a few then; any more?

14. shelbyman2351

shelbyman2351 Well-Known Member

YES! How about the most famous Shelby owner of them all... Carroll Shelby:) well he's not listed yet. A guy I know restored Tim Allen's GT500 KR , triple black. I saw the car during resto. Tim also owned a friend of mine's Hemi RR. Another guy I know bought the Sean Penn car from the Utah(since moved to Mo.?) Shelby dealer named John Y. He was looking for a 500 vert in ANY color but H. green. Well John had this car and he bought it. Had to basically jump thru hoops to get it to Canada and also keep the Sean penn title-forgot the specifics of that. Jerry Bruckheimer from Gone in 60 seconds reportedly has/had a 1967 GT500. Gary

15. sstcobra

sstcobra Member

Word is that Bobby Rahal just purchased a 1966 GT350H.

16. shelby Guy

shelby Guy Well-Known Member

Ow also , the King ELVIS had a cobra , theres a pic in registry.

17. neelfryer

neelfryer Active Member

steven spielberg -- was given the 66 gt 350 hertz car that was used in war of the worlds -- it's back/gold and they try to pass it off as a blue collar working man's project muscle car -- but after the movie was over the rumor is that tom cruise gave it to steven as a gift -- steven is a car guy in a big way -- j

18. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

You are right, former Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony had a 69 GT500 vert. He also still has a white with blue stripes 2005 Ford GT and the typical red Ferrari.
    [​IMG]

rshelby likes this.
  19. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

Not a Rumor but a FACT!! Spielberg won first place at SAAC 30 with the car in it's class.:dance:

20. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

This car now owned by my wife, was owned by Charlie Sheen from 1989 until 1999.
    Frank

[​IMG]