Join Shelby Forums Today

Famous Shelby Owners

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by SaleenS7R, Feb 12, 2007.

1. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

We have only scratched the surface.

Anne Francis drove a Cobra in her 1965-66 show "Honey West". She was a private detective. Don't know that she was an owner though.

Musician Herbie Hancock bought a Cobra in the spring of 1963 off the showroom floor in NYC. After first being snubbed by the salesman (overt racism, supidity, or both) Hancock returned with the entire purchace price in cash & fanned the $5825 down on the sales desk. He still owns the car (CSX2006) today. Not counting C. Shelby, Hancock's Cobra is the longest owned one owner Cobra.

check your registry, it's full of great stories like that.

Z. Ray
    6s1117

2. markboss

markboss Well-Known Member

Actor Jackie Cooper, owned a 69 GT500,

Charlie Sheen, also owned a 68GT500 convertible, a guy in Florida owns/owned it, saw it a few years ago...

3. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

You're right Mark. Almost bought that one too. It was a GT 500 KR, lime green. It was used in the movie Money Talks with Heather Locklear and Chris Tucker. Sold for $50,000 in 1999.
    Frank

4. bcollins

bcollins Member

The comment that Tom Cruise gave Steven Spielberg the '66 Hertz car seen in the move War Of The Worlds is incorrect. That GT350H, 6S1833, is owned by Gino Lucci, the co-owner of Picture Cars East in Brooklyn, NY. They supply vehicles to the film industry and had a short lived reality TV series last year called Shooting Cars. According to Gino, Tom Cruise tried to buy the car from him during filming. Gino's response? "Tom, you don't have enough money to buy this car from me". Now THAT's an enthusiast.

5. bcollins

bcollins Member

Sorry Dave, but when 6S1833 won in the survivor category at SAAC-30 last year, it was Gino Lucci who displayed it. I spoke to him there. How's #2264 doing?

6. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

Renee Richards the tennis player had a 289 Cobra. ( Born a man):thumbsup:

7. pamman

pamman Member

Interesting topic. I was looking for info on a radio mounting bracket for 1970 shelby when this came up. I purchased #2013 (Alice Coopers) last august. Its a prime example of a survivor car including most of its original paint. I don't believe Alice was a aware it was a Hertz car when he owned it. Anyway can anyone direct me to a radio mounting bracket for orginal am/fm? I've been all over the internet. Thanks Much...

8. 6t5

6t5 Member

Last I saw 5 years ago, Herbie's car sits in a garage in Culver City, California. It was sitting among other vintage Fords and next to the A-Code Fastback GT that's now in my possession. The owner of the garage told me Herbie's early production 289 Cobra has sat for many, many years and is all original. He still owns it. I wonder if he remembers that he has the Cobra.

9. bodycustom1

bodycustom1 New Member

Attached Files:

10. early67350

early67350 New Member

I believe Jackie Coogan (Uncle Fester in the Addams Family Series) owned a shelby.

11. Mike Wren

Mike Wren New Member

Jackie Cooper owned a 1969 Shelby. It had no stripes. Slim Pickens also owned a 1969 Shelby GT500. I met him at Galpin Ford in the service department in 1970. He was having it repaired in the body shop. He said he hit a deer in Montana. I have had my 1969 Shelby since May 29, 1979. I may be the longest original owner of a 69 GT500.