Join Shelby Forums Today

over ride traction bars

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by stallions, Feb 4, 2007.

1. stallions

stallions Member

please help, does any one have any pictures on how to install the 1965 OVER RIDE traction bars on a 65 shelby? I'm looking for the pictures on the bars that go through the rear floor board.
    I have looked everywhere and can't find any
    Help, help, help!!!
    thank you

2. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Here is a picture of the originals being welded in. Probably won't help too much.
    [​IMG]

3. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

Here are two shots from sports car graphic 6/65.
    If you ask specific questions you can get good info..
    good luck,
    jimbo

Attached Files:

4. stallions

stallions Member

thanks a million, that is what i was looking for:thumbsup:

5. jbarela

jbarela Well-Known Member

I have a question..I read somewhere that this set up is superior for the job it is intended to do versus the underide set up..as far as geometry goes etc..can anyone comment on that.....reason I ask is because I still want to use my back seats but dont know if I install these if my back seats will still work? Did the 65 shelbys that had overides all have rear shelfs or back seats as well...hate to have them installed just to find out the seats wont work...

6. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

You would still have room for the seat. I can't remember when ..but a while back I started a topic on how many 65 owners know if the bottom half of their rear seats are still in place. Surprisingly 055 still has the bottom section. All the traction bar stuff on 65's are contained within the interior side panel. The only real differences were the boots used to keep dust from entering the opening. Early types were just inner tubes cut to make the flexible seals.

7. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

jbarela,

Our Hertz car (SFM6S817) has over rides. The back seat works just fine. I believe that the reason Shelby changed from over ride to under ride was one of cost.

8. jbarela

super!! So are the overrides a better performing set up than underrides?

I dont quite understand the mechanics of what traction bars do for your car..since our shelby has underrides I figured it was worth putting them on my fastback...

9. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

Yes!! Overrides are better than Underrides !! Overrides prevent axle twist under acceleration better than Underrides. Although they work the same its best described on an engineering standpoint as push or pull. Rotation of the axle housing is clockwise therefore the overrides will limit the clockwise movement Pushing whereas the underrides are pulling the axle back but the spring flex allows more movement....hope that makes sense!! Oh yeah That's clockwise viewing from the right side..Duh!!

10. jbarela

Thats a great explanation..thanks so much...overrides here I come...now I just need to get another nine inch..hipo style housing so that the weld on brackets that are currently being sold will fit the tube..I have a early large bearing narrowed nine inch ..three inch tubes all the way to the backing plates..

11. 69GT350Conv

69GT350Conv Member

I had a 66 and ithe seat fit well with the overrides. cars ID was in the mid 200's

12. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

The Brackets that weld to the inside of the car. Weld them to a square plate first then weld to the floor.

13. denperkins

denperkins New Member

Does anyone know how the interior Mustang 2+2 quarter trim interior panels fit around the fiberglass traction bar enclosures. It looks like they would come down right on top of the enclosures. Pics would help.

14. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

If you read the content of this old thread you will understand that boxs should clear if original . Many of the reproduction enclosures fit terrible and may be the source of your problem. FYI many override cars did not use the enclosernd instead were sealed with rubber gasket cut from rubber inner tube. two pieces cut and revited on ether side of the metal override bar.

15. Ogresko

Ogresko New Member

I have to agree. The reproduction fibreglass covers shouldn't be called reproductions. Judging by the smaller size of mine the bolt on the interior bracket of the override doesn't fit inside without forcing it. Do have a question tho about the removal of the strip that has the mounting points for the interior panel. Once strip is removed how do you secure the bottom of the panel. In all of the photos I have sourced the strip is removed from the floor and I assume the interior panel sits freely against the fibreglass cover or by adhesive.
    Also does anyone have any dimensions for the hole that the override bar goes through the floor. Would prefer to measure two or three times and cut once.