Join Shelby Forums Today

1966 Side Scoops...Help Please!

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Brian K. Green, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Brian K. Green

Brian K. Green Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the best and easiest way to install the side scoops? I've installed them before using pop rivets and it's a royal pain the butt. Can anyone please give me some tips and pointers?

2. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

When I was a kid there was this old guy "jack of all trades" fellow who gave me some great advice..

"Jimbo,, always remember... the hard way is really the easy way"

If you take out the back seat and the interior fiberglass side panels it is a snap. Have another person on the outside of the car to hold things. Don't drill where your helper's fingers are

When you say that it is a pain in the butt.. are you comparing it to say... replacing the headliner.. or installing 1/4 windows??
    good luck,
    jimbo

3. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Brian, if you have a real 66 Shelby, you'll want to do this the factory way. However, this forum also attracts those building clones so, I have read at the "VMF" 1965-1973 Classic Mustangs - Vintage Mustang.com where folks have done this with either construction adhesive from the outside, or, using 3M double sided mounting tape. You heat the panel with a blow dryer to get it warm, and also the 3M tape, then carefully place the scoop in place.

4. Brian K. Green

Actually, I am building another convertible clone. I should have mentioned this earlier. That's why it is so hard to install these scoops, there is NO room in the back interior of the car to work around.

5. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

!!!!convertible!!!..... (oops!) my advice about the hard way is now redacted..
    the hard way in this case is the HARD way
    good luck

6. Brian K. Green

Thanks anyway.......the 3M adhesive way may work, I will look into it.