Join Shelby Forums Today

New 2007 Ford shelby GT offers A BALANCED small-block dose of modern Shelby magic

Discussion in 'Shelby News Forum' started by rshelby, Dec 21, 2006.

1. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

New 2007 Ford shelby GT offers A BALANCED small-block dose of modern Shelby mustang magic​

The new Ford Shelby GT adds a 4.6-liter V-8, 325-horsepower model to the modern Shelby Mustang portfolio, joining the 5.4-liter, 500-horsepower Ford Shelby GT500.

Ford reveals the ‘Go Fast' decision-making and development process of new Shelby GT on its “Bold Moves: The Future of Ford” web-based documentary today at: www.fordboldmoves.com .

Arriving in dealer showrooms in first quarter of 2007, the Shelby GT coupe will be limited in production volume of less than 10,000 models total.
    Ford Shelby Mustangs have proven extremely desirable: The first publicly available Shelby GT500 sold for $600,000 in January and the only Shelby GT-H sold to the public commanded $250,000 in late July, both at charity auctions.

DEARBORN , Mich. , Aug. 13, 2006 – Today, Ford debuts the all-new 2007 Ford Shelby GT through a behind-the-scenes look at the high-performance Mustang's development on its “Bold Moves: The Future of Ford” web-based documentary ( www.fordboldmoves.com ). On Wednesday, Ford confirmed production of the Shelby GT as one of 9 new product introductions coming in the next 6 months. The Shelby GT will feature a 4.6-liter V-8 producing 325-horsepower and production will be limited to less than 10,000 models in volume therefore assuring its exclusivity like all Shelby Mustang models.

“Our goal is to offer a steed for every need,” says John Felice, Ford brand general marketing manager. “The new Shelby GT is a low-volume, extremely collectable Mustang for enthusiasts. It also offers a few more customers the opportunity to experience firsthand magic of Mustang and Carroll Shelby.”

The Shelby GT is the third modern Shelby Mustang produced through a collaboration of Ford and Shelby Automobiles. In addition to the 2007 Shelby GT500, Ford and Shelby created 500 copies of the Ford Shelby GT-H, which are available only through select Hertz rental centers.

“We have been overwhelmed at the number of people who want to buy a version of the Shelby GT-H,” said Carroll Shelby, CEO of Shelby Automobiles, Inc. “The Shelby GT will deliver the power and balanced handling of the Shelby GT-H, but with more performance potential, especially due to the available manual transmission.”

Modern Shelby Mustangs have proven to be extremely desirable among Mustang and Shelby enthusiasts. For example, in January an early production Shelby GT500 sold at the Barrett-Jackson auction for $600,000, with proceeds benefiting the Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation. On July 28, a Shelby GT-H was sold for $250,000 at the EAA AirVenture, with proceeds benefiting the Youth Eagles aviation education program.

Shelby-inspired performance, proven by Ford Racing​

“The Shelby GT builds on the expertise of Ford Racing, the experience of Carroll Shelby and the Shelby team to deliver an incredible driving experience that is unmistakably Shelby ,” says Jamie Allison, manager, Ford Racing Performance Group. “And, like every Shelby Mustang should be, the Shelby GT is ready to be both a weekday driver and a weekend warrior for track days.”

The Shelby GT driving dynamics are fine tuned with the Ford Racing Handling Pack, which was developed by the same engineers that developed the Ford Racing FR500C, which won the 2005 Grand-Am Cup Championship. New coil springs drop the overall ride height by an inch-and-a-half for a more aggressive stance and reduced body roll. Stiffer dampers and front swaybar further enhance cornering feel and body control. To showcase the key performance modifications, Ford Racing painted all the key suspension components, including the damper, spring, and swaybar Ford Racing Blue.

A front strut-tower brace adds additional strength to the chassis structure, and P235/55ZR18 high-performance tires maximize the benefits of the chassis upgrades.

Under hood, the Ford Racing Power Pack increases the output of the naturally aspirated, three-valve, 4.6-liter V-8 to 325-horsepower, and 330 pound-feet of torque. The Power Pack includes a 90 millimeter cold-air intake and a new performance engine calibration for improved response. The high-flow exhaust system with X-pipe crossover offers better power delivery and a throaty V-8 exhaust note. A shorter rear-axle ratio is installed to capitalize on the Shelby GT coupe's extra power, especially accelerating off the line. For Shelby GT models equipped with a manual transmission, a Hurst short-throw shifter is installed for more precise shift action.

“The Shelby GT is great fun on the track,” continues Shelby . “It's got the heart and soul of the Mustang GT pumped up with a strong motor, nimble chassis and great sound. It's one of those rare cars that's easy to drive really fast.”

Authentic Shelby design cues​

The Shelby GT will be offered only as a coupe, and only in two exterior colors, Performance White or Black. Both colors are accented by silver LeMans-style racing stripes – a signature detail of classic Shelby Mustangs. The LeMans stripes extend over the hood, roof, and trunk, and are complemented by matching side stripes with “Shelby GT” nomenclature.

The powerful face of the Shelby GT features a unique front fascia, with a more aggressive lower air dam. The brushed-aluminum grille is accented by an offset Mustang logo. In addition, the Shelby GT has a new hood scoop that comes directly from the famed Shelby Cobra roadster.

The side profile features chromed, 18-inch wheels and unique side scoops just before the rear wheel arches. The rear fascia frames the larger dual exhaust tips, and is topped by Shelby badging on the trunk lid.

Inside, features include ‘Shelby GT' logo floor mats and custom sill plates with Shelby GT nomenclature. In addition, the Shelby GT features an authentication plate on the center dashboard, as well as matching tag underhood. This tag features the CSX number, which is recorded in the Shelby Automobiles registry.

Shelby GT models will begin as a stock Mustang GT assembled at AutoAlliance International assembly plant in Flat Rock, Mich. The cars are then shipped to the Shelby Automobiles facility in Las Vegas for modification before delivery to Ford dealerships.

“The Shelby team in Las Vegas is excited about building the Shelby GT,” said Amy Boylan, President of Shelby Automobiles, Inc. “With our partners at Ford, we are creating the next chapter in the Shelby legacy.”

Offering a steed for every need ​

“It's an exciting time to be a muscle car fan, as legendary names from the 1960's are being reincarnated in the marketplace,” says Felice. “As the Shelby GT shows, Ford will continue to dominate the new muscle car wars just as we have done for over forty years. No other nameplate will be able to match the depth and breadth of options the Mustang offers.”

In support of Ford's “steed for every need” strategy, Ford now offers four horsepower options for Mustang, with pricing from $19,995 for a 240-hp V-6 Mustang coupe to $46,500 for a 500-hp Shelby GT500 convertible.

Ford has also introduced several special packages on Mustang further increasing its unique offerings, including the Pony Package and the California Special. And there are plans for more in the future.

In addition, Ford Racing offers a complete catalog of performance parts for Mustang fans, from custom wheels and exhausts to the complete, turn-key Ford Racing Mustang FR500C race car.

As a result, Ford offers Mustang enthusiasts the ability to buy, modify and drive the steed that perfectly fits their need.

2. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

after giving up on the wait for an 07 GT500, I ordered one of these GT's a few weeks back. should be an early numbered car!! They have a SHELBY Vin tag under the hood as well as on the dash just like the old day!! and they are done at SHELBY not a FORD assembly line. so it carries tradition from the past forward and they are an affordable, fun and collectable vehicle that I plan to drive, not store!:thumbsup:

3. cobra427

cobra427 Well-Known Member

Dave: Did they tell you when the car will be ready??? What color, white or black? I think Ford should of called this model the GT350. I'm still going to wait, the more cars built the faster the price should level off. I just wish the Ford saleman learn about the cars they are selling! I find the saleman don't know jack about the Shelbys, and Saleens they have in their showrooms. I went to the dealership the other day and was greeted by a saleman, he ask me what I was looking for and l told him I wanted to see the new Shelby and he told me that it was gone, but they are expecting more in, and I asked him if their was a waiting list, and he said no, as far as he knew I could have the next one. Then he takes me over to look at the new Saleen S281 Conv setting in the showroom, and says, "this is the high horse power stage III Saleen". I said what did you say? and he repeated it. I said Saleens don't come in stages Roushs do. He said no Saleens do, and he went off to get the keys so he could put up the window so he could read me the sticker. After read the sticker, he then tells me that Saleens didn't put there stages on the sticker. I told him that if your selling these cars you should learn about them. This doesn't give me a good feeling about buying cars from them.

4. STiger

STiger Member

Those videos are great and show the trouble Ford is in. The funny thing is any member of the Shelby Club could have told them what they need to do with the performance side in a two hour meeting. We all know where they need to go. None of the imports have this kind of history...........

5. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

I have a Vin and the car should be at SHELBY now so I am hoping for a LOW SHELBY VIN !! it is White with the Shaker 500, Sirius satellite radio, Premium leather imterior upgrade, 3.55 Limited slip rear, 5 speed manual trans etc. do not be angry with uninformed salespeople. it is your duty to educate yourself!! www.shelbyautos.com Go NOW!! Learn then BUY!!