Join Shelby Forums Today

Looking for 1970 GT-500 Convt.

Discussion in 'Lost, Found & Looking' started by GLHS#160_DOHC, Nov 26, 2006.

1. GLHS#160_DOHC

GLHS#160_DOHC New Member

Hello-

I am looking for my dad's old 1970 Shelby Mustang GT-500 Convertible. He was the 2nd owner and purchased it in 1971 with extremely low mileage. It was optioned out the following way:

Grabber Green exterior
    black stripes on hood with factory ram air scoops
    Black interior
    White convertible top
    Automatic trans

Oh and one more thing...apparently he said the car was stolen at one point and so they installed some sort of fuel pump with kill switch located in the glove box? Also, he said one of his scoops flew off on the highway (going very fast one night) and he also said he arranged the decals/medallions a little different on both rear quarter panels - He put a rectangular "428 cobra jet" medallion, etc..

I don't have the VIN, but like I say, that's pretty much how it was optioned out. Oh and it had a white tonneau cover for the convertible top.

If anyone has any information on where this car may be, please let me know. He sold the car in 1973 in Miami,FL.

The car was bought new at Luke Bolton Ford in Fort Lauderdale, FL on 441 (State Rd 7)

I can be reached at: rick@rdiperformance.com
    or www.rdiperformance.com

Thanks!
    Rick D.
    1987 Shelby GLHS #160 - DOHC
    1987 Shelby CSX #747

2. markboss

markboss Well-Known Member

Call kevin Marti at Marti autoworks...he can research with the info you have,,,cannot be many grabber greens..
    he will charge you...

http://www.martiauto.com/

3. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Well, I am not a computer, but after checking the 97 registry it looks like your VIN # was OF03R481855. Unfortunately there is no owner history ( possibly the registrar could have newer info) in the 97 book. To further prove this was your Dads' car the registry states that ARA A/C was dealer installed. Not sure what ARA is.
    Good luck with your mission! Len

4. GLHS#160_DOHC

GLHS#160_DOHC New Member

Hey thanks guys! Len, thank you for that info - I really appreciate it. My dad always talks about how much he wishes he could find that car and possibly buy it back but shoot, his chances of finding it are about a million to one. I have pics of my mom and dad posing next to the car (mom's wearing "go-go boots") LOL!

He brain washed me from the time I was about 13 years old that I just HAD TO buy a car built by Carroll and his team when I turned 16...and so I did. Lucky for me, I turned 16 in 1990 and as such I was able to afford a used 1987 Shelby GLHS - from the original owner who was an SAAC member. I've owned it ever since. My dream is to one day be able to buy my dad a 70 GT-500....preferrably his old one. I'd even just love to be able to show him pics of it! I seriously hope it didn't get crushed...but one never knows. My dad at one point told me there were something like 38 made that year (perhaps he meant in that color). In any case, I know they are extremely rare. I do have pics of the car from a few different angles if that would help my cause. It looks brand spanking new in the pics.

Thanks guys-
    Rick D.
    South Florida

5. sstcobra

sstcobra Member

Re: the ARA A/C note. ARA was the name of the company that supplied dealer (or AO Smith) installed A/C in the cars. Had the same installed unit in #2519. If you need more info in the ARA unit, contact Vinny Liska at SAAC, as he likely understands more about these units that anyone. Good luck finding your dad's former car. My dreams are similar to yours....I wish for my kids to buy me a real cobra one day....even though I never owned one! :)

6. markboss

markboss Well-Known Member

Check with Florida state vehicle registration, they can probably provide you with the owners name, if that is the correct serial number...

I received a letter a few years ago from an attorney wanting to buy my boss, he must have researched all the owners in Florida with a mustang with a "G" engine code...

Hope you have deep pockets, a 70 GT500 convertible is big bucks....$250+

7. JGARRETT223

JGARRETT223 New Member

Try Vincent Liska At Saac, He Is The 69/70 Rep And Has All The Paperwork And Current Registry Info.

8. shotgun

shotgun Active Member

I know where this car is. It is alive & well in the Midwest. I will make the current owner aware of this thread and leave it up to him to contact you.

Mike

9. 2dragpac500converts

2dragpac500converts Well-Known Member

Hey shootgun, What are you doing on the shelby website during company hours? HA HA

10. speedbob

speedbob New Member

Hey Rick,
    Sure wish you would post those vinatge pics you have with your Mom & Pop with the Shelby !!!

11. shotgun

shotgun Active Member

Hey, I posted that on Sunday!!!
    Got any certain cars for sale?? LOL!!

12. 2dragpac500converts

2dragpac500converts Well-Known Member

I sure would like to see those pics also.