Join Shelby Forums Today

1963 DragonSnake Cobra?

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by rshelby, Nov 3, 2006.

1. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

It looks like another Dragon Snake Cobra is going to be sold via Mecum in January. Their website doesn't have any more information about the car so I'm wondering what it's history is? I don't recognise this maroon one.

[​IMG]

The blue 1962 DragonSnake was just sold through Mecum Collector Car Auctioneers 19th Annual Spring Classic Auction, May 25-29, 2006, Belvidere, IL. for $1,601,250.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

I was told that this is not a dragonsnake in an earlier thread when I posted an old picture of it.

[​IMG]

3. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

This could prove to be somewhat interesting. Shelby American production
    figures show only 4 factory prepared competetion "Dragonsnakes" produced.

Obviously, there was several private, independently constructed
    "Dragonsnakes as well.

It would be interesting to know if this particular one is actually a
    Shelby American produced one or a priveteer makeover.
    shlby66

4. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

my money is on Dragonpilot's opinion.....:guns:

5. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

Could not agree more. If anyone knows the history it is Dragonpilot. That is a pretty small circle (4 cars) I am sure he is well aware of what is what.:guitar:

6. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

Dragonsnakes I know about:

CSX2019 - originally converted to drag specs at SA. Original factory drag car.
    CSX2248 - Factory invoice shows all the drag race options including drag slicks. I owned this car for a long time and sold it to Carroll who sold it to Lynn. The car only lost two races in its racing career and one was due to some odd breakout rule after crossing the line first.
    CSX2357 - The Dragonsnake that my old car raced against in the '65 Winternatioals. Seconnd factory drag car.
    CSX2427 - Customer Dragonsnake. It was the yellow car that was painted that color by SA to match the tow car of the buyers.
    CSX2472 - This is the car that was started to be built into a road race car, then stored and SA finally finished for an Ed Hugas customer to somewhat strange specs.
    CSX3198 - was the customer 427 that was assembled by SA as a drag car.

CSX2093 was not a factory built drag race car. But it was converted to Dragonsnake specs early in its career and had many very important wins. The driver was Bruce Larson who raced funny cars in NHRA until into the 90's at least...

CSX2248:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Fordfan64

Fordfan64 New Member

8. gsharapa

gsharapa Member

Sam Pack, Ford Dealer in Dallas, has two Dragon Snakes in his collection. The one and only 427 Dragon Snake and one of the four 289s. I have pic of 427 with Carroll but can't post it.......

9. patrick

patrick New Member

Hey everyone! I realize this is an old post, but a Yahoo News bulletin tonight about a $15 million dollar cobra forced me to do some research on the subject! Recently (a few months back) I had the almighty privilege of working on a photo-shoot for DPR. In the un-named owners collection (I was told it was the worlds foremost collection of supercars) was the exact car in question! SO, I have several high-resolution, professionally taken (snapshots) of this car, "The winningest Dragonsnake of them all". I hope this helps you all!!! Personally, I cant decide between the Enzo signed by the Pope, or the F1... or the Veyron "Pur Sang" I think I would be scared to drive the MC12. The guy also had some GT40's, but sadly I did not get any shots of them....
    If you have questions, email me
    BTW, I signed up to this website just to post this...
    And the photos are copyrighted to www.patfoleyphoto.com . Please do not use them without asking permission first (I most likely will not care if you ask first!).
    Thanks,
    Patrick

10. patrick

patrick New Member

Sorry, the pics did not upload....I have tried several times to upload them and every time it is giving me an error...I will try again later I guess.

11. patrick

patrick New Member

12. john hollister

john hollister Member

Is he sure it's the real. CSX3198, and not just the ID plate. I bought CSX3198 from Les Newell in 1978. Gave it to Eric Ball in 1980, with a Pantera and a reproduction 427 Cobra, done by Jim Kelsey, co owner of Connecticut Coach, Wallingford CT, as a partial down payment for his resort, Faro Blanco Marine Resort, Marathon Fl. Keys. He sold it the next day to Ray Brown, a very wealthy man from TX. Ray had it DRIVEN to TX from the Keys. The driver put it in a pine tree. Twisted like a pretzel. I knew Kelsey, Ball and Brown years after the Cobra crash. Kelsey never owned the real one. What brings this up is a email I received from someone who knew the history of the car asking me if this was mine http://www.shelbyford.com/reg3198.html Other then a few dates and the spelling of my name, it's correct until I sold it, then it's all bogus. Can anyone help solve this? Thanks...john

13. CSX 4995

CSX 4995 New Member

14. john hollister

john hollister Member

Yes, it has the same information on the 427 Dragonsnake as the one I was sent. Incorrect. Thanks anyway

15. twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys Active Member

CSX2019 resides at the Shelby American Collection near Boulder, CO.