Join Shelby Forums Today

Common problems with '87 shelby charger?

Discussion in 'Shelby Dodge' started by White Out, Oct 8, 2006.

1. White Out

White Out New Member

I am looking at purchasing an '87 shelby charger. It is a 5 speed and has 79K on the clock. The car has virtually no rust, even under it. It has recently had a new fuel pump installed. A shifter bushing has broken and the car isn't driveable. He is replacing the bushing and the car should be back on the road this week. What are some common problems for the car?

Nick

2. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

Re: Common problems?

It is a 20 year old car so problems are mostly age related.

Vacuum lines tend to leak at connectors. The rubber fuel lines to the fuel rail will likely need to be replaced. A leak here will cause raw fuel to be dumped on a hot exhaust manifold.

The weak link in the car itself is the transaxle. It is fine for stock amounts of power but should be upgraded if you plan on racing or increasing engine output.

robin

3. White Out

White Out New Member

Oh, I am very aware of 19 year old car problems (read sig <_< ). The car has new fuel lines near the pump, but I will definatly check them by the rail. For the trans, what is the main reason for breaking? Is it like the wrx 5spd (02-03 usdm) where it is just week in many ways. Or is it just not able to handle the power once modding starts?

Nick

4. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

The transaxle case will twist and flex in the differential area under high torque loading. It can be upgraded to reduce the flex.

robin

5. GLHS444

GLHS444 Well-Known Member

Robin is right, the trans in the Shelby Chargers is a two peice unit and likes to seperate under high loads. You can install a diff girdle, chrome moly bearing plate, and 555 gear set to beef it up, but it will be marginal at best. Go with a 555 trans over the 525 that came in the car, you'll be happier when turning up the boost.

When the HEP starts acting up in your car, just replace the distributor with another Mopar reman, cheaper than buying the HEP itself. Aftermarket HEP's are trash, so watch out for those also

I'm certain there are more, just can't think of them now, but I bet you'll find them.... ;)

Good luck and have fun..

6. White Out

White Out New Member

Sorry to be a n00b, but what is a HEP?

Nick

7. GLHS444

GLHS444 Well-Known Member

We've all been there.....HEP, Hall Effect Pickup.

The shutter wheel is usually the main cause of the problems. You'll see why when you remove the cap.... what were they thinking?? :blink: