Join Shelby Forums Today

Ford GT owned by Carroll Shelby?

Discussion in 'GT40 & Ford GT' started by bitzman, Sep 26, 2006.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I am presuming that, in a good pr gesture, Ford gave Carroll Shelby a new Ford GT (not counting the mule in the museum in Las Vegas). If so, has he customized it in any way? I would presume that he would put his own personal stamp on it. Have pictures of it appeared anywhere? By the way, Ford either gave Dan Gurney a new Ford GT or made it available at a "friendly" price. I wonder if ol' Dan has been popped for speeding yet in Orange County? Of course his car will have the "Gurney bubble" (the term for the bulge in the roof to accomodate tall Gurney with helmet)

2. stephen_becker

stephen_becker Well-Known Member

In speaking with Carroll, last month, about my own personal Ford GT he said the he was getting the last 10 Ford GT's built and that he was giving them to friends and relatives - He mentioned that one of the cars was going to singer Mack Davis -

SGB

3. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with Mack Davis? Is he a country singer?
    I heard fromsomeone who went to the first (and maybe annual forever more) gathering of new Ford GT owners in Dearborn that the very last Ford GT was saved for someone special (maybe a Ford family member?) but did not find out who. This is the first I heard that the last ten were saved for one order.
    In the car collecting world, owning the very first of something or the very last is an extra feather in your cap. Even better is owning a pre-production prototype, as I used to own a '54 300SL gullwing when officially they weren't production until 1955.(Alas I sold it for peanuts).
    I will go to FordGTForum.com and see if there's any word there on who got the last Ford GTs. There is a production count now, but I forget what it was, something over 4200 cars but I don't know if they are counting the Canadian cars, which number 200, half of which can be repatriated to their native land and half of which can't due to a change in bumper specs.

4. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

The last production Ford GT is the 2011th unit for 2006 for a total production two year run of 4038 units. It is a red with white stripes Gt and is going to Canada. It just came off the Troy plant line on Sept. 24 is going to the Saleen crew at the Wixom plant for assembly. For photos and VIN info, go to:
    http://www.blueovalnews.com

Is Carroll really getting 10 Ford GTs or is that just an elaborate rumor? Seems nice but a bit hard to believe. One maybe, but ten?:cool:

5. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

They are not all for Carroll. He just placed the order. Well, he's keeping at least one. I don't know the exact number he ordered but 10 sounds about right. I know where a couple of them are going but have not asked about the others.
    Randall