Join Shelby Forums Today

Astronaut Cobra?

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by bitzman, Sep 26, 2006.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen a picture of one of the astronauts with a Cobra 427?
    I remember reading back in the Sixties that one of the original astronauts was into sports cars but I thought it was Maserati or Corvette. I believe his had an automatic and it was also stolen at one time.
    Like ref. to a picture if you have it.

2. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

One of the old SAAC mags has a pic a write up on the car. Can't remember which issue off hand.

3. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

from what I have observed, Shelby Cars have long attracted many Pilots.

4. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

There is a more recent astronaut that is a Shelby fan. I can't remember his name at the moment but he invited Carroll and family down to see a shuttle launch maybe 4 years ago. Not long before the re-entry explosion.

Anyway, I was excited and planning on going but it was too short of notice to make my way to Florida and the launch was delayed because of weather so I would not have been able to see the take off anyway. I still would like to see one lift off some day though!
    Randall

5. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

The original seven Mercury Astronauts were around this area in the early 60's for training at NASA Langley. Mom and I used to see Alan Shepard in a white Corvette. One of the others had a Corvette too. But I also remember one of the later astronauts having a Cobra, but the info escapes me at the moment.

The Corvettes were depicted in the move "All the Right Stuff" or whatever.

Just found info on the 427 Cobra....

http://www.colinsclassicauto.com/detail.php?car=176

It was CSX3127 loaned to Scott Carpenter.

I also found more info that Alan Shepard had later owned a Cobra:

http://groups.msn.com/SpaceCowboySaloon/theoriginal71.msnw

Search the page for Alan Shepard.

Kinda cool actually.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2006
  6. Cobra Ned

Cobra Ned Member

Maybe the car you are thinking about was CSX 3230, which was owned by Scott Carpenter. It was pictured in an article on him in the 9/67 issue of National Geographic magazine.

7. csx289

csx289 New Member

Scott Carpenter did own CSX3230.

I currently own CSX3127, which was Shelby's PR car for a few years. Scott Carpenter was loaned 3127 while his Cobra was in for repairs if I remember correctly. Somebody just posted pictures in another thread of 3127 at the Milwaukee Auto Show where it was on display with the Northwoods SAAC club.

Manufacturers have always tried to get celebrities and other high-profile people behind the wheel of their cars. Think of James Cagney with his Duesy, Clark Gable with his Jag XK-120, and Steve McQueen with his 289 Cobra! Can't get better PR than that... just be thankfull Elvis wasn't loaned a Cobra, he would have shot it! :D

Colin Comer

8. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

Did you miss Elvis in "Spinout"?? he had a ball with that COBRA and it never suffered a shot!

9. bitzman

Elvis and the white cobra

In the opening scene which seems to run 2-3 minutes The King is in a white 427 Cobra Comp car, with side pipes, on a road that looks like somewhere in Malibu and this babe is in , I forget, maybe a Mustang,and somehow runs him off the road. But then they switch to some cheezy kit car, doesn't even look like a Cobra. I have tried to figure out how to make a still picture from the video but can't figure it out

Some publicity shots showed El next to the real Cobra and some posters from other countries show the Cobra more than the American market Cobra. I find it frustrating that the King could have driven a Cobra and yet not bought one (but he did buy a Messerschmitt, which sort of makes up for it...)

10. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a story....I went to look at 67 GT500 once. The guys selling thought I was young, dumb and stupid. Well they right on only two accounts.

:laf:

They said the car was owned by Gus Grissom. Problem was, the car wasn't built until after the Apollo 1 fire!

Nice try....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  11. bitzman

Re: Elvi Cobra too?

So you lost me on the first curve. Was the RM auction Cobra also in the movie Spinout as the white Cobra Elvis was driving at the opening credit sequence? So maybe we can blame the film company for putting on the side pipes, chrome roll bar and hood scoop? Last time I saw that movie it seemed the opening sequence ws about 2 minutes long, so if you see the film for $1 or $2 at a swap meet, it's worth picking up. Yest they put some cheesy kit car in there to represent it when it spun off the road, because the Cobra cost them too much to crash.

I have never seen a press kit showing Elvis with the car, is there such a kit--I hate to contact the Elvis trivia collectors--they must be living the Elvis life 24 hours a day, more obsessed than the Cobramaniacs....

12. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Movie Poster
    [​IMG]
    Few years ago Matchbox released this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Today in Elvis history, Elvis is best man and Priscilla is Matron of Honor at the wedding of Delbert West to Judy Jordan. 1970.
    Yah I know, get a life.

rshelby likes this.