Join Shelby Forums Today

Winter Storage Tips??

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by 5S545, Sep 11, 2006.

1. 5S545

5S545 Well-Known Member

What do those of you who live in areas where there is real winter do to store your baby away for the winter? Is a heated garage necessary?

2. dwdshelby

dwdshelby Active Member

Not necessary but recommended for any quality Shelby. If you have a good cover that doesn't scrape the paint off in the wind and have the appropriate anti-freeze in the block - any car can last a winter outside. But I wouldn't unless you have to - at the very least an un-heated garage will keep the wind, dust and the varmits out of the car.

A couple winters outside will really show on the car. I live in Canada and keep all three of mine in a heated garage. I change the oil right before I put them away, fill the gas tank to full (with some fuel stabilizer), give them a good wash and wax, over-inflate the tires a touch, take the battery out of the car, keep the antifreeze up to snuff and keep the temperature above 45 degrees in the shop - unless I am working out there then it goes up!

If it is going to be stored for a very long time some recommend spraying oil into the cylinders through the spark plug holes, putting some moisture/humidity control product in the interior, if a convertible keep the top up and tape off the exhaust manifolds/secure the carb to ensure varmits don't get into the engine system.

Then the key to to pre-oil the engine before start up in the spring via a drill on the distributor to ensure oil is in the system properly before a cold start.

Regards
    Dave

3. 5S545

5S545 Well-Known Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. We built our house 5 years ago and we insulated the garage (41x23 feet) and ran a gas line in the ceiling (10.5feet) so we can get one of those shop type heaters if necessary. Wanted to find out if it was vital to heat the space. With the high ceiling, my husband hopes to get a lift someday.

About the drill on the distributor, do you mean like a power drill to(pardon my ignorance) turn the distributor to circulate oil?:huh:

4. dwdshelby

dwdshelby Active Member

yes, the idea is to bring the engine up to full oil pressure and in the proper places in the engine after it has sat idle for some time - less cold start wear which can be particularily an issue after it sits for five or six months.

Regards
    Dave

5. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

I change to 10-30 wt oil, keep the gas tank full, add a can of dry gas and
    use a battery tender. I used to take the battery out and put it in the house to keep warm, but it proved to be a hassel when it was a clear day and I wanted to take the Shelby out for a run. She sleeps in a non heated garage
    with her cover on, but gets driven during the winter.
    shlby66

6. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind that the distributor/oil pump turns counter clockwise so you need to use a drill with a reverse feature.

7. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

A heated garage is best. And also one where the winter car isn't in and out bringing in moisture. OK, that is impossible for most of us, so, here is what I do.
    Battery and all 5 tires/wheels in the basement. Makes the battery last, and makes the chrome on the Magstars stay bright. (it's a 67)
    The garage is insulated. And make sure there aren't any drafty, leaky doors.
    For a further thermal break, I slide 2 one inch thick foam insulation sheets under the car.
    Put the car away clean. And have a soft car cover that does not mess up your paint. Warning: refrain from leaving anything even on top of the car like boxes or manuals.
    Run the engine about every 4 to 6 weeks. Yeah, that means taking the battery back out every time.
    Put some Stabil in the fuel tank, and have a full fuel tank.

8. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

With regards to the drill on the oil pump process..
    REMEMBER.. If you use a socket and extension at the end of the drill!!! put some tape around the socket so it doesn't fall off and drop into the motor!!! (also some motors have the keeper on ther wrong side of the drive shaft:eek: and the shaft can stick in the socket and come halfway out of the motor... then fall in.. beware)
    It is adequate for me to pull the center coil wire off the distributor and crank the motor untill the oil pressure gauge shows pressure ...10-15 seconds. then put the wire back on and start the motor.
    I think enough oil gets pumped in there to prevent any catastophies...
    I only have a clone though so who cares if the motor blows up... :)
    jimbo

9. 5S545

5S545 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info guys, the tip about the rigid foam insulation is a great one! We had thought it might be possible to only heat the bay with the Shelby by putting up some sort of vinyl curtain to keep the heat in that bay. Not as permanant as a wall which would also be a possibility.

Good caution on the parts falling into the motor too! My husband had wondered if the drill would just snap the distributor shaft, but apparantly not if you guys do it sucessfully. Thanks also for the note on which direction the dist. turns, we do have a reversible drill.

"I only have a clone though so who cares if the motor blows up..."
    jimbo

Of course we care, Jimbo. Any blown motor is a major bummer:)

10. carv

carv Member

5S545,

I don’t think you fully understand the oil and distributor thing. If you want to prime the engine with oil using a drill, the distributor must be removed from the engine. Mechanical ability is a must or things could go very wrong. :cigar: :mad:

11. 5S545

5S545 Well-Known Member

Not to worry, the husband is very mechanically inclined, I'm the one that is just learning.:)

12. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Buy an oil pump primer. They are cheap($12.95 from Summit) and you don't have to worry about droping a socket inside your motor.
    [​IMG]

Also, I take my sunvisors and turn them down because mice love to climb on them to make a winter home while chewing up the headliner.

13. 5S545

5S545 Well-Known Member

Good stuff! Sadly that is just the kind of thing that you only learn by experience, or from some one nice enough to share the benefit of thiers.:)

In the past my husband has used the coil wire method, I like the oil pump primer too.