Join Shelby Forums Today

Shelby-Superperformance?

Discussion in 'Open Community Forum' started by CWCobra, Feb 7, 2005.

1. CWCobra

CWCobra Active Member

Randall,

All the sites have been buzzing since the anouncement Friday. I understand it is early, and perhaps no clarification can be given at the present time.but I hope as soon as you know and are able to share that information, i know many of us, especially CSX4700 customers would appreciate hearing.

Thanks,
    CSX4819

2. Alan McCormack

Alan McCormack Member

Where When & What did you hear. Other then this small info I'm lost?
    Thanks for any more info. B)

3. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

Please note, it's "Superformance".

CARROLL SHELBY AND SUPERFORMANCE INTERNATIONAL
    SETTLE INFRINGEMENT DISPUTE

LOS ANGELES, January 25, 2005 - Carroll Shelby (“Shelby”) and Superformance International (“Superformance”) have settled their remaining differences regarding alleged trademark and trade dress infringements with regard to the Shelby Cobra and Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe body shapes, and have also agreed to begin working together to advance their mutual objectives of making the highest quality products available to their customers.

“I am pleased that Superformance has recognized the value of being associated with the Shelby entities, and on my part, I recognize Superformance in the replica car business for their quality of design and engineering integrity,” said Carroll Shelby, chairman of Carroll Shelby International, Inc. (CSBI.PK). “As a result, I have granted Superformance an exclusive license in the replica industry to replicate my Shelby Cobra and Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe shapes.”

“There are several ways in which a closer relationship between the Shelby entities and Superformance can create synergy that will benefit both corporations, as well as capitalize on each companies strengths,” said Mr. Jim Price, president of Superformance.

“For example, we have in Hi-Tech Automotive, a modern and very capable engineering and manufacturing facility in South Africa,” said Price. “This enables the possibility of future manufacturing of components or other products for Shelby Automobiles to Shelby’s high specifications. We are very interested in exploring such opportunities, which we feel would be of benefit to both organizations.”

In describing the new cooperative relationship between Shelby and Superformance, John Luft, President of Carroll Shelby Licensing, Inc., said “Carroll Shelby, Shelby Automobiles and its independent dealer network will continue to produce, manufacture and sell the only authentic Shelby Cobra branded products, built to original specifications, inside and out…but Superformance’s products are the only component vehicles licensed with the permission of Mr. Carroll Shelby to replicate the shapes of his famous 289, 427 and Daytona Coupe vehicles, originally manufactured in the 1960’s. We are very excited about this new licensing arrangement.”

The companies have also put into place the framework whereby the Shelby organization can greatly expand its operations by making authentic Shelby Cobra products available to Superformance’s dealer network in the US.

“Mr Shelby and Mr Price have confirmed that the foundation of mutual respect and co-operation that has developed will now be the focus of the future efforts of both companies, rather than protracted and expensive litigation,” said Mr. Ronnie Kruger, CEO of Superformance International.

About Carroll Shelby International, Inc.
    Carroll Shelby International, Inc. is the parent company of Shelby Automobiles and Carroll Shelby Licensing.
    Shelby Automobiles Inc. is manufacturing high performance Shelby vehicles under the guidance of the legendary Carroll Shelby and will be involved in prototype manufacturing, design and engineering projects; and plans to increase production and availability of these Shelby products through an expanded dealer network and direct sales under a license agreement with Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc. For more information, call 702/325-4851 or visit the company's web site at www.shelbyautos.com.
    Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc., founded in 1988, is the exclusive holder of automotive manufacturer and entrepreneur Carroll Shelby's trademarks and vehicle design rights, which include some of the world's most famous muscle cars and high-performance vehicles, including the car that brought home to the U.S. it's first and only FIA World Manufacturers Championship in 1965, the famous Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe. It also holds trademark rights for Shelby-branded apparel, accessories and collectibles. For additional information about the company or licensing opportunities, call (310) 914-1843, or fax (310) 914-1853 or write to Carroll Shelby Licensing, Inc., 11150 West Olympic Boulevard, Suite 1050, Los Angeles, CA 90064 or visit www.carrollshelbyinternational.com , www.carrollshelby.com.
    About Superformance
    Superformance International Inc, founded in 1996, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hi-Tech Automotive (Pty) Ltd, and sole North American distributor of the Superformance ® range of component vehicles, parts and accessories manufactured by Hi-Tech Automotive in South Africa.

Superformance distributes its products through eleven retail dealer outlets in the US and Canada.

The Superformance Mk III and Superformance Coupe is already established as the most sought after replica component vehicles in their class in the US.

4. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

Carroll Shelby is certainly no mans fool. Neither are the Folks at Superformance. The Replica industry is a constantly evolving process, just like any other Business. this is an amazing "New" twist that a Replica Manufacturer will be able to actually Market his Version as an Authorized Cobra. Not any of the Gimmick terminology currently being used by everyone due to legal restrictions. I also believe that while Carroll Shelby may Be the Idea man behind the Cobra, He was not the idea man behind the Replica industry. he was a latecomer into it and had to learn as he went along. I own a CSX 4000 series car and am amazed evry time I get near it just how accurate and functional the Car is. the Fact that it is a REAL COBRA by SHELBY is just icing on the cake. They are simply awesome products. Superformance is a Class operation that makes a more affordable (and available) product that has differences to the original cars, but for someone that wants a great replica, they are getting a very nice product. the fact that it will have Shelby's blessing should help their sales as it is definitely an added incentive that should elevate them further in the marketplace. I for one am happy to see this come about! :thumbsup: