Join Shelby Forums Today

The three leftover GT40s

Discussion in 'GT40 & Ford GT' started by bitzman, Aug 31, 2006.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

In looking through Keith Martins magazine, something about Sports and GT Markets, I saw a full page ad for a silver GT40 which was being hawked by a British car dealer as one of three chassis which they said had been shipped from Ford to a chap named B. Wingfield to finish out as full cars. These were from the original run around 1965 but this build out didn't take place until the 1990s This is not to be confused with the Safir cars, which were continuation cars made under license. . I think they might have said continuation car, with this car in the ad I don't have the ad with me. My question is: does anyone know who at Ford commissioned this project? Did Ford then sell all three or keep a couple for show and display? Was this a project of Ford of England or Ford Dearborn?
    I haven't looked at the latest Ronnie Spain book to see if they are listed. Spain is the former truck driver who has devoted years of his life to tracking down each and every GT40 (and uncovering more than one fake in the process)