Join Shelby Forums Today

How to clean rough cast aluminum?

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by jntmjt1, Jul 20, 2006.

1. jntmjt1

jntmjt1 Member

Hi guys,

What have you found to make rough cast aluminum (i.e. Cobra oil pan, Cobra valve covers, Cobra intake manifold) look like show car new again?

Mine are good, but I know they could be better with the right product. They just don't have that uniform gray color they should have.

I've tried some acid based mag wheel cleaner, and that helped, but it didn't completely work.

What do you use?

Thanks for your time,
    John Thomas

2. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Glass beading the parts will work fine. If you want a dull look go with a fine sand. Personally I like the glass.

3. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

I get great results by putting the parts in the dishwasher.... It is complicated to do this without creating a home turf battle about kitchen appliance use. Use lots of detergent.... sometimes you have to take out the upper shelf. always run a load of dishes throught the machine when you are done and before SHE gets home.
    Jimbo

4. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

I use find sand also then i use mag wheel coating on them you can clean them easy with brake clean. If you leave them bare you can not clean the oil or gas leaks leak a stain.

Mike

5. Magstar

Magstar Well-Known Member

Blast with fine sand and use a little laquer thinner on a clean rag for cleaning

6. 69SCJQ4.30

69SCJQ4.30 Well-Known Member

Here is waht Rose City Mustang in Portland, OR can do. There number is 503-243-1938.
    [​IMG]

7. 2334

2334 Active Member

Fine sand is NOT what you want to use on a intake.You will have a very hard time trying to get it all out of the intake when done. What you do not get out after install will find it's way in to your oil stream in a short time. Fine sand is not a substance that you want in your bearing's. HTH.

8. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

I removed the intake and valve covers from my car. Took them to the local machine shop and had them cleaned and glass beaded. After polishing the tops of the valve cover fins, I coated everything with Zoop seal. This was two years ago. All I have to do is hit it with a hose and everything comes clean. Zoop seal is not cheap but it's the only thing I have used that will seal rough cast aluminum and prevent it from absorbing dirt.

9. Sandy Galbraith

Sandy Galbraith Well-Known Member

I agree with 2334....NEVER use sand on anything that can possibly make its way into the engine. And on the valve covers sand will get stuck in the baffles...very tough to get it ALL out.

I prefer to have them tumbled....thats where they are vibrated in a bin using small stones to do the clean up...works great and has a fabulous look and it closes the pores in the alum so that you can wipe off oil, etc.