Join Shelby Forums Today

Proud owners of America's longest production muscle / sports car

Discussion in 'Open Community Forum' started by Rudy's 65, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Rudy's 65

Rudy's 65 Active Member

Greetings!

I'm sure your all aware of this, but I thought it would make a good "factoid"
    if you run into a Corvette owner who doesn't give credit where credit is due.

We are the proud owners of America's longest running production
    muscle / sports car. You see, Chevrolet claims the Corvette to have this crown.
    However, with no production car available in 1983 due to "re-design" for model change,
    which, was re-introduced in 1984. This is when their reign ended, making the Mustang the
    longest running production muscle / sports car in US history.

Rudy:thumbsup:

2. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

No doubt, Mustang owners are a proud lot. However, it seems the factoid would only open a debate as to what is a muscle or sports car.

robin

3. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'll guess I will have to sit around and argue with myself about this!!

[​IMG] :D

4. Rudy's 65

Rudy's 65 Active Member

Hello,

Oops!
    I'm slightly slumped over and smiling at the same time.
    Now, I didn't say the Corvette was not a nice car. They are a
    beautiful car. The Mustang with a V8 would be considered more
    of a muscle car than a sports car. However, for those of us who
    have an Inline Six (no one in this forum except me) then the fastback
    could then be considered a sports car. The Covette on the other hand -
    they are undoubtly sporty and have a lot of muscle - well anything built
    before 1972 and after 1992. Regardless, the Mustang is the longest running -
    your choice. By the way, very nice mid-years you have there
    Mr.Commissioner.

Rudy;)

5. GT52

GT52 Active Member

While it strikes me as a bit of a stretch, since cars were always available, I do understand the your position on the Corvette during the changeover in '83. Help me understand though whether the Mustang IIs should be considered "sports" cars or "muscle" cars. If I'm being honest, I don't consider the VAST majority of all Mustangs to be either.

6. Rudy's 65

Rudy's 65 Active Member

A point well taken.
    In the end, my stand was that the Mustang is the longest
    "production" muscle or sports car. The rest, is up to everyone else.
    Thanks for your insight.

Rudy:blush:

7. Early67

Early67 Well-Known Member

An added thought to the discussion. In '60's American culture, the Corvette was labeled the sports car, the mid-size cars with a big block (GTO, 442, Gran Sport, Chevelle SS, Fairlane, etc), were labeled the muscle cars, and the Mustang, Challenger, Barracuda, etc were pony cars. I realize that some of the pony cars had big blocks and could be considered a variant of the muscle car/ pony car, but they originated as the long hood, short deck characteristic of the pony category (thanks to our beloved Mustangs).

8. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

I think it was 74 and maybe 75 that there was not a V8 Mustang available. So the argument can be made that the string of "muscle" cars was broken.

The 80 and 81 only had the 255 V8 as well...

But then again I consider a Corvette a sportscar, not a 'Muscle" car.

9. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

I think Carroll Shelby, The Shelby American Team cars/drivers, all the indepndant teams with both the Cobra, and the Shelby Mustangs put the hush on Corvette pride in the 60's.

10. Early67

Yeah, that's something that vetters don't want to discuss.

11. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

No, us "Vetters" like to discuss the Grand Sport, however we don't like to discuss GM management at the time, who are responsible for all efforts funded by GM to be shut down. Anything done after that during the 60/70's was privateers like John Greenwood, who took their Vettes to LeMans as small teams to take on the big boys.

12. Early67

But am I correct that the GT350 R's did eliminate [ I think that was B/production] the vette from viable competition when at the time they were the car to beat regardless of who backed them?
    GM was adept in the drag racing circles of not " being involved" in racing. Really, I don't mean anything demeaning to lots of vette owners. However, in my years of experience around them, the majority look down on us lowly stang/shelby owners. But that's been my experience, and I truly don't feel I'm being biased in that regard.
    Personally, I like the early vettes through '67 plus the current design. Any of those between don't make my heart skip a beat.

13. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

If you look at racing history..... the Mustang "IS" a Sports Car. The V8 models are also a Muscle Car. The 1974-1978 also should be classified as a "Sports Car" simply because they are. Most Sports Cars have 4 cyl. engines. So YES, Mustang is the longest running name for a Sports Car/Muscle Car. BUT...... did you know that Pontiac has the car with the longest running name??????? It is the Grand Prix. But that will soon change as I read that Pontiac will be ending killing off the Grand Prix in a few years. Now we just have to make sure that the Mustang doesn't die.

14. GT52

GT52 Active Member

Wow. When Paul McCartney turned 60 I knew I was getting old. Now, just this week, I find out I live in a solar system where Pluto isn't a planet, where an A code Mustang is a muscle car, and where a Mustang II is a sports car. So many things have changed over the course of my life........;)