Join Shelby Forums Today

Looking for history on a 289 Ace

Discussion in 'Lost, Found & Looking' started by 56ace, Jul 9, 2006.

1. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Hi I just joined the forums and am looking for help finding information on a car. First it is a 1956 Ace and not real Cobra and I am not trying find info to pass it off as one, but according to the previous owner, it was modified in the early '60s in Southern California to be Cobra like. It was originally Black w/red interior, but when I obtained it, it was BRG with a single wide stripe (approx 18") down the middle and 2 very thin stripes going down each side of the larger stripe. When stripping the car, I found medium blue paint under the green and then a coat of silver under that before getting to the primer. The car has Cobra style side vents, was set up for a small block Ford, had original SW gauges, an original Cobra radiator, Ray Brown seat belts, and had a full width roll bar. The front body was modified by removing the Ace mustaches and was smoothed over to be Cobra in shape. I have much more info to help in its ID if any of this info sounds familiar. I have found a picture of Ak Miller's Ace and there are some similarities so if anyone has any pics of Ak's old car I would love to see them, esp the interior. Sorry if this is not the correct venue for this, but figure some old Cobra guys from LA might remember this car as there were not that many of them around.
    Thanks for any help and reading this long post,
    Jay

2. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

1 other piece of information I forgot to post, when replacing the dash, I found the name "K. Stettorier" and what looks like a social security number on the back of the glove box door.
    Thanks again,
    Jay

3. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Jay, did you ever turn up any info on your car?

4. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Yes, A couple of months after posting the original request, I recived a PM from a person in Phoenix who said the car might be the same one owned by a friend of his (who was deceased) but was also from Phoenix. The friend was named Karl "Al" Stettmeier and he owned a car very similar to my description in the late '60s/early '70s. Based on the things he told me I went back and realized K Stettmeier could have easily been the name on the glove box door, and concluded my car was the same one. From there I have been able to piece the history together from then until now, but am still missing the history from 1956 to the late '60s. Here is a link to a web page I put together trying to track down its history, so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

http://members.impulse.net/~sfm081/index_html/Acerev1History.html

And here is how it looks now which may be very close to how the car looked in the late '60s.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the interest.
    Jay
    PS According to the guy in Phoenix, he thought Karl may have bought the car from someone in the Tucson area, but I have not been able to find any leads there.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  5. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Nice story, and your car is absolutely beautiful. Keep us posted if you find anymore history on your car.