Join Shelby Forums Today

Hello from Virginia

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by jimk351c, Jun 28, 2006.

1. jimk351c

jimk351c Active Member

I'm an SAAC member who doesn't even own a Mustang or Shelby. However, I do own a Cougar XR7-G, which was built along side Shelby Mustangs at A.O. Smith in Michigan, with the work managed by Shelby Automotive Co., making for an interesting connection with this community.

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Welcome Jim! Will you be attending SAAC 31 at VIR?

3. jimk351c

jimk351c Active Member

Yes, I'll be driving the XR7-G down on Friday. I'm VERY much looking forward to it! This will be my first Shelby convention.

4. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

5. jimk351c

jimk351c Active Member

I know Bill. CatVert is a beautiful creation, he brought it out to Carlisle. I'm the President of the Delmarva Cougar Club, which co-hosted the Mid-Atlantic Cougar Prowl at the Carlisle All-Ford Nats this year. Bill is a great guy.

6. dan

dan Active Member

hay jim sounds like you need a shelby im in your back yard also in lakeridge with a 66 shelby for sale im in river falls behind the county building sfm 6s-1066 restored numbers matching motor was auto now 4 speed awesome restoration orig floors 90 percent orig sheet metal daparris@erols.com drop me an email or anyone else

7. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

Hi Jim
    I had a 1970 Eliminator Graber blue with Boss 302 and 4.30 locker with manual
    drum brakes and no power steering. I wish i would of kept that car car.
    Mike:thumbup:

8. jimk351c

jimk351c Active Member

9. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Nice looking XR7-G, I could not tell in the picture if yours is a sunroof car or not. Either way is looks nice. I have a 68 XR7-GT that I am restoring slowly. Also what engine does your G have?

10. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

Hey Jim ---Frank Bowers here. Welcome to the site. Great bunch of guys on this site.

[​IMG]

Two 427 Tunnel ports------------Two 428's

11. Early67

Early67 Well-Known Member

I can ever so barely see the front edge of his sunroof.
    Question: did all XR-7 GT's come with sunroofs? A few have told me so, but I'm a tad ignorant about the Cougars.

12. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

The GT was a different option. Not all XR 7 G's had a sunroof. Here is some history on the 1968 XR 7 G's . I have one of the XR7 G Hertz rental cars. It needs to be restored and is for sale. Red with a red interior.
    Frank

XR 7G

13. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

There were 619 XR7-G's made, about 1100 XR7-GT's, G's could have a 302, 390, or a 428 while all GT's had a 390. The G's were built by A.O. Smith right along side the Shelby's and the GT's were just production Mercury cars. Only the G's had the factory sunroof and of the G's only 431 of the 619 had the sunroof.

14. jimk351c

jimk351c Active Member

Hey, Frank. Always good to hear from you!

Yes, it is a sunroof G, and I had a BLAST taking it to SAAC31. SAAC really knows how to put on a show! This is probably the most fun I've ever had at any club event. Thanks to all for the warm welcome. Everyone took in the 'Cougar XR7-G' guys with open arms and we greatly appreciate it. This may have been the first time ever that TWO XR7-Gs have been on a road course at the same time!

15. Early67

Early67 Well-Known Member

Thank you all for getting me more informed about the Cougars. I don't feel so stupid now!!

16. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

I saw your car at SAAC 31. I wanted to get over and say hello, but I didn't make it over for watever reason. We were fairly close in the paddock too. I was in the '68 Shelby GT350 conv. with the saddle colored top.

Your car does look great!!

17. jimk351c

jimk351c Active Member

Thanks! Your car looked terrific on track! I'm not used to seeing so many valuable cars driven to the limit. I just LOVE the mentality. What a great event...... I sure hope SAAC comes back to the east coast. Heck, VIR is the perfect facility, maybe we'll be lucky and have it there again with a FULL track configuration :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  18. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

Well, I have suggested exactly that to Rick in an email. It was a great event. I was worried that the event turnout would be small (like the last Charlotte event) but it was as good as I might have dreamed. Where are you guys located? I live in Suffolk and go to the monthly meetings at Kimnach Ford in Norfolk.

I am in the process of re-launching the local club web site:

http://svsaac.com/

19. jimk351c

jimk351c Active Member

I live in Northern, VA. We are really spread out. Our membership is mostly around the DC area in MD / VA, but we have members in Delaware and all parts of VA. In fact, we have a few members in your area, but not a lot. There really aren't a lot of Cougars left around, so we are really spread thin.

I'm about 1 hr. and 10 min. from Summit Point Raceway and I'm hoping to have my '70 Cougar ready for some Open Track action there later this year. Let me know if you ever end up that way, I'd like to hook-up.