Join Shelby Forums Today

Clairification on the CSX-T

Discussion in 'Shelby Dodge' started by CSX375, Mar 19, 2006.

1. CSX375

CSX375 Well-Known Member

Hey,

I was just looking at the new www.shelbyautos.com , and I went to the CSX section of the website, and it said that CSX-Ts were just like the '87s. Now I always heard that Shelby upgraded the '87s Turbo I engine to Turbo II specs, but left the CSX-Ts as Turbo I. The website said that they were exactly the same except for the paint. Have I been mislead all these years?

jim

2. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

You are correct. The CSX-T had a Turbo I engine except for one that was built to Turbo II specs for the president of Thrifty Rental Car. Also the CSX-T used LeMans wheels instead of the Centurian II wheels on the 87 CSX.

robin

3. CSX375

CSX375 Well-Known Member

Someone really needs to set up a definative source for us. The mustang guys have everything officiated , but if we don't get things in line, well regret it down the road.

jim

4. djdowdell

djdowdell Member

I have some literature somewhere that says that the csx-t was left as a turbo I for "durability" purposes. I got it off the web from somewhere, not sure but i will find out for sure and let u know. If someone has an original csx-t they could clarify this for you. But the "durability" thing makes since because they were made for a rental company so they had to last awhile.

5. djdowdell

djdowdell Member

i have found out where i seen the qoute on "durability". it is on the web at www.allpar.com so check it out under the csx section.:guns:

6. GLHS444

GLHS444 Well-Known Member

There was a book published by Motorbooks International in 1996, titled as Enthusiast Color Series SHELBY Cobra, Mustang, Dodge by Steve Statham.
    There are a couple of mistakes in the book but overall it does cover the Shelby Dodge years very well, more so than any book I've seen discussing Carroll Shelby's career.

You may still be able to find one online somewhere.

7. csxt671

csxt671 New Member

The other thing I read somewhere about the CSX-T's using the Turbo I was because of the warrenty. I read the site, and they said that Dodge built them with no Shelby involvement. Shelby put the ground effects, decals, wheels, suspension, steering wheel, valve cover, and dash plaque. Heck the Shelby Automotive sticker is on inside of the door.

8. racer-xerols

racer-xerols New Member

All the CSX-Ts were Dodge-stock powertrain 2.2 turbo I blowthru, with one piece intakes and no intercoolers. They were strictly a cosmetic package including the ground effects package from the 87 CSX, the aforementioned LeMans wheels, a steering wheel and a set of badges (dash plaque, CSX-T or Shelby dash badge for the passenger, and doorsill plates).

I don't know of a definitive online source for this information, but I do know the Shelby Dodge community has a good working knowledge of the cars. Check www.sdac.org/links.htm for some very good websites about the cars.