Join Shelby Forums Today

Cleaning Rubber Tire Marks Off

Discussion in 'Auto Detail, Car Care and Maintenance' started by rshelby, Apr 9, 2017.

1. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

What recommendations do y'all have for cleaning off the rubber tire marks from your car after a track day? (The black marks from chunks of rubber "marbles" bouncing off the car). I use Meguiars clay bar but it takes a bit of work. Any other suggestions??? It seems a bit more difficult to clean them off of the vinyl stripes as opposed to the paint.

2. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

I use solvent based brake cleaner ( not the alcohol based) on a rag. It is safe on clear coat finishes. Just use good polish afterwards and be wash your skin with soap after as soon after you get any overspray on yourself. Using a good carnauba wax on the affected areas may help from the rubber sticking so much.

3. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

This is the only thing safe to take off the track rubber you have described

http://3mcollision.com/3m-general-purpose-adhesive-cleaner-08984.html

4. 66GT350PS

Works extremely well and quickly but certainly not safe. It is very toxic so use gloves and eye protection in well ventilated area. It has toluene and benzene so if you get it on your skin wash with soap and water right away. You will not feel it but is you don want it to absorbed. Keep away from flame and open electronics as it is flammable. Read up the material safety (MSDS) data sheet info before use.
    Play safe.

5. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

As with all solvents and cleaners, caution should not be taken lightly, and all instruction and warnings should be abided by.

6. 66GT350PS

Absolutely. My experience from two dozen years in the industrial chemical distribution business taught me that customers frequently got lazy with safety and had to be reminded or reprimanded in the handling of hazardous products. I wanted to keep my company and suppliers away from any potential lawsuits and succeeded. The DIY at home group is usually the worse because they have no supervision and do not realize that some mistakes in handling may not show up for decades and can then be very serious health issues.

So let's be save out there. Just keep in mind than anything that is powerful enough to dissolve rubber residue can do all kinds of external and internal damage to human tissue. Do the right thing so you can enjoy your ride for many years to come.

7. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Good advice. It's all too easy to become complacent so it never hurts to have a reminder about chemical safety. Thank you. :thumbup: