Join Shelby Forums Today

Help me identify my engine?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by radojko, Dec 12, 2016.

1. radojko

radojko Member

Mornin' all!

So, I'm trying to familiarize myself with my newly-acquired 68 GT500. The engine has me puzzled, so I'm hoping for some enlightenment here.

I have the original build sheet, a partial copy of which I've attached.

My limited understanding of the encoding of the sheet is that the engine is supposed to be a 428PI. Based on the pretty comprehensive documentation that I have for the car, I'm 98% confident that its the original engine. Now I just need to confirm.

Was there a "standard" 428 engine for 68 GT500's? If so, which flavor should it be? How can I identify it - is it possible to do so without actually pulling the engine? I tried to find a casting date on the block, but haven't been successful as of yet.

A pretty knowledgeable friend told me that the PI should be externally balanced and should have a counterweight that's visible on the flywheel. Is that true? I have a C6 transmission, which has the "wagon wheel" flywheel - is that correct? If there should be a counterweight, am I correct in assuming that it would be visible on the forward face of the flywheel?

Questions, questions, questions. :confused:

Many thanks,
    -Bob-

Attached Files:

2. radojko

radojko Member

Oh, and one more (unrelated) question. :whistle:

According to the build sheet, the axle is supposed to be a 3.00:1. There's no tag on the pumpkin. How would I go about identifying which axle it is...?

Thanks again,
    -Bob-

3. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

The only engine used in a production 1968 Shelby is the 428 Police Interceptor.

The date code is located between the oil filter and the block. There is very likely to be a stamped serial number on the back face of the block or head.

Automatic cars would use a flex plate not a flywheel.

You can jack up the car and turn the rear wheel. The ratio for every rotation should be 3 to 1 with the driveshaft.