Join Shelby Forums Today

B-van computers in Shelby dakota's

Discussion in 'Shelby Dodge' started by csx_rags, Jan 22, 2005.

1. csx_rags

csx_rags Member

Anybody try running a B-van computer in there truck? If so what did you do to make it work....

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Abkshelby

Abkshelby Member

As you hopefully know by now the Shelby Dakota will run fine with the B-van computer. Just the engine fan won't work. Could probably just hookup some kind of temperature controlled method for that to work. I would put the power module part from the B-van computer in the Shelby computer and see if that will solve any problems you had. Charging problems with the alternator are often that board.

3. csx_rags

csx_rags Member

Well the B-van computer does run the truck..... but the tach is reading about half speed and the fans stay on........ I've been so busy lately I have not had time to further check it out..... I know the DRB will read a tach signal though so I can't be too far off... I just have to figure out where it reads it from....

Here's what I'm doing....

Here's my combination
    Shelby Dakota#54
    90 5.9
    5.9 throttle body
    A500 V8 trans set to shift at 5500ish
    Shelby Performace Computer (rev limiter kicks in at 4800rpm) most annoying

Tim

4. Abkshelby

Abkshelby Member

Hmmm. This is a tough one to figure out. I don't understand why the tach would be reading half it's value. It should all be fine with that Shelby computer. Looks like your gonna have to do more research with the DRB to see what's going on. Keep us updated on what happens. And where did you find that Shelby computer? I want one too. :thumbsup: (Yeah like finding a needle in a haystack!)

5. csx_rags

csx_rags Member

Abkshelby,

With the B-van computer it reads half speed..... The Shelby Computer has a engine rev limiter that kicks in at 4800rpm so when I go from 1st to 2nd the trans shifts at 5500ish ....The truck never reaches that because the rev limiter kicks in at 4800. Right now the truck is down but drop me an e-mail at csx_rags@hotmail.com if you get a minute and maybe I can help you out....

Tim

6. Abkshelby

Abkshelby Member

Email sent. I need to check in here a little more often. :)

7. WUWU20

WUWU20 Well-Known Member

Whats been going on with this project? I'm interested in the computor deal myself cause if mine dies I need to know where to turn to fix it, I did a national seach here at the dealership and there aren't any Shelby computors out there. :doh: Mine is almost complete, I have to pull the valve body back out of the trans, its not shifting just right so I think I've got something wrong, it was fine before I pulled it, just leaked REALLY bad!.....any feedback on adjusting the bands in those trans??

8. csx_rags

csx_rags Member

Hello,

Well the status is my friend has all three computers:
    89 B-van
    Stock Shelby
    Shelby performance

He's going to take a look at them and see what changed. So far he's still working on them. I'll let you know what happens...

Tim

9. HowlerMonkey

HowlerMonkey Member

If someone can provide me the number on the prom, I can probably run off a batch of these computers from one that is mechanically identical.

I rebuild ecus for standard motor products.

All you have to do is remove the case top and use a wet paper towel to rub the dirt off of the "goo" so you can read the chip which is in the lower right hand corner if you hold the ecu connector up and away from you.

It's very obvious which chip it is when you see it as the numbers are pretty large.

10. HowlerMonkey

HowlerMonkey Member

numbers on the outside of the case might help.

11. 79LilRed

79LilRed Member

Any updates on this as I am curious? Also which B-Series computer are you running. I'm assuming there would be timing and fuel curve differences between the 318 & 360 computers. However for example it has been discussed that in a 92-95 Dakota with a 318 you can use a 360 Ram truck computer. The reason for the use of it is because it has the best timing and fuel mixture curves. As for the fan; is concerned I would want it run constantly as fear of overheating and getting a bad headgasket could happen like it did when my Challenger would overheat because of the overall setup.
    Another alternative might to be use a 91 Computer. The 91 V8 trucks had the 318 and some had a tachometer. I know for a fact that a 91 instrument cluster will work in an 89 Dakota as I had a lifted 4x4 convertible I bought a mint instrument cluster from and it would work. Also the 91 is a pre magnum V8so that might work as well. I believe both 89 Shelby and 91 V8 trucks are the same horsepower.

12. HowlerMonkey

HowlerMonkey Member

Just got back here and I will, in a few days, dig up the information on which car's computer's I used to make one for the shelby by adding the prom chip from it.

Since the prom chip is very rare and seems to be the only chip that can actuate the electric fan functionality, I have saved it such that I can burn them at will.

Once I get the information all in one place, I can make another and confirm it's operation on a shelby truck.