Join Shelby Forums Today

CSX2000 Sold at RM Auctions Monterey

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by rshelby, Aug 20, 2016.

1. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

As many of you know, CSX2000 was put up for sale at RM Auction in Monterey this weekend. The car was owned by the Carroll Hall Shelby Trust and was put up for sale by the two trustees of the Carroll Shelby Trust, Neil Cummings and Joe Conway. The Shelby Family is not the beneficiary of the trust and was not in favor of the sale. When I refer to the Shelby Family, I am not including Carroll's seventh wife, Cleo.

The bidding quickly jumped up to $10,000,000, and it was announced that the reserve was lifted. The car had a reserve of $15,000,000 going into the auction. As the bidding climbed, the number of bidders narrowed to two...Greg Miller and the Shelby Family. The two bid back and fourth, raising the stakes to a final number of $13,750,000, $12,500,000 plus the 10% buyers commission. In the end the Shelby Family was outbid by Mr. Miller and the car will find a new home in the Miller Collection. The Shelby Family tried but could not match the financial resources of Miller so he will add a new signature piece to his extensive collection.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  2. rshelby

3. rshelby

4. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

One element I find puzzling, if the Shelby family was not in favor of the sale, why was Arron Shelby promoting the sale during the auction? He also made the announcement, in error I assume, that it was the Shelby foundation selling the cars.

Whether you choose to reply or not, I thank you for helping to clarify the situation with your post.:thumbup:

5. rshelby

I don't know why he promoted it other than he was asked to do so. As for benefiting the foundation, some of the cars benefited the Carroll Shelby Foundation while some proceeds went to the CHS Trust. The CSX2000 funds went to the trust, along with those from the 1986 Dodge Shelby Omni GLHS. The proceeds from the Series 1 and CSX3178 benefited the Carroll Shelby Foundation.