Join Shelby Forums Today

Has any one come across 9" factry stamped rear end tag stamped wrong?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by FORDMANTED, Jul 24, 2016.

1. FORDMANTED

FORDMANTED New Member

:doh: HI- I have a FORD rear end tag that is supposed to have come out of a 69 Mustang 390-4spd. car that is stamped WFD-A with 9AD on top row while it has 3L25-9-999A on bottom. When you go to original 65/70 FORD parts catalog and hit 40 area. Catalog reads that WFD-A is a 9" -3L50 with 31 spline axles. I have taken whole unit apart and it has smaller 28 spline axles with 3L25 ratio. I have taken hundreds of FORD rears out but never ran into this tag # ever being wrong before. Plus I worked in FORD parts dealership for over 25 years and serviced them with correct parts to repair or rebuild. ANY Feedback out there? Really ticked off since I had to drive long way to buy with it being all together and no way to check innards plus pay too much. I needed 31 spline axle rear for H/D use. Been in this business over 50 years too. HELP Thanks Take care and GOD BLESS FORDMANTED@aol.com

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like someone replaced the rear, but swapped the tag over to keep the illusion going when they sold the car