Join Shelby Forums Today

EXP 500 "Green Hornet"

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by Jan_R, Jan 10, 2006.

1. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi to all on this long and winding thread.I agree with Pete about the Green hornet,it is one of the few cars that is accepted by SAAC and the California Special registry.It was missing the most valuble experimental part (the irs)and really is much more Cal.Special than Shelby.The car was not seen as a potential big seller,and they were correct-sales for the car would not have been great.Even in house competition was rapidly rising and the decision to make a convertible was wiser.That being said..to comment on the only 67 convertible,and the documents-they reflect the car as it is being created-in august of 66.I really think the car was in the final stages of being finalized,when it was stolen,and after recovery it became the 68 mule-this would also explain why few photos were ever/have ever shown up.It lived life as a 68.It is now put together as a 67,and is not a concours type restoration,but it is a true miracle it ever survived the crusher.The 67 coupe that was produced in Mexico with Shelby supplied parts would have used the same trunk lid as the convertible.And this may a new chapter that we should explore-they say only a few hundred were built.How many have survived?
    Regards P.D.:guitar:

2. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

A few hundred Shelby de mexico cars? Just confused as to which you were referring?

Mike

3. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi to everybody ! The 67 mexican built coupes were converted into shelby de mexicos and were only offered as small block powered cars.Shelby sold the parts and a shop in mexico did the conversions.In all the 69 appears to have been the most popular,and several of them have been imported to the us.(It is the only year I have ever seen in person-) someone really should research these cars and find out all the details.Apparently only a few hundred were done each year from 67-69.I think Pete has a few pictures on his website of the 67 version.In my mind it is still amazing how popular the Mustang is around the world.
    Regards P.D.

4. thefordshow

thefordshow Well-Known Member

Any one have photos of EXP 500 from back in the day?

5. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Tell Craig J I have it and am accepting offers :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I've seen that list before about the items they were looking to complete. Seem to recall it was interoffice between the newly formed Shelby Automotive (Mich) ant the engineering dept still @ LA

6. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Isn't that interesting. Could the real Lil Red still be out there? Was it indeed converted over to 68 looks?

7. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Good question about the vintage pictures. I have not looked at the books mentioned above, however I have only see ONE vintage picture. Many, many of the pictures online (even the black and white ones) are pictures of the restored car. Some pictures were made to look old. Some are even pictures of "Little Red". No wonder people are confused. A few of the well intended posters need some attention to detail, because they are making things muddy.

The picture I saw is in the Shelby American Number 63. It was taken around 1972. Strangley, the car looks closer to it's original Lime Green Metallic. It has white side stripes. I am puzzled someone would go through the trouble of replacing white side stripes on a four year old car and recreate the EXP500 script.

I would describe this car as a California Special prototype used by Shelby as an engingeering car.

8. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

In 76 my friend owend the 67 EXP GT500 , It looked like a 68 Shelby and none of side marker lights worked because it had no harnes to plug them in to. It had a 67 fender VIN
    tag and when you lifted up the carpet the floor pans i think
    were blue or green. He also had a 67 GT500 and a 68 GT 500 also.The car was painted red.

9. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of the Green Hornet from 1972. This picture appeared in the Shelby American Magazine # 63. The car appears to be the original Lime green color with white side stripes. I am not sure why anyone would have redone the side stripes if the car had been repainted at this time. It does appear to have 1968 Shelby fiberglass. This is the only vintage picture I have seen of this car. It would be interesting to see the Marti report from this coupe. I wonder if the car came with the accent stripe ?

[​IMG]