Join Shelby Forums Today

EXP 500 "Green Hornet"

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by Jan_R, Jan 10, 2006.

1. David A Bolton

David A Bolton New Member

Don't know exactly what you are looking for but try:
    "http://www.volocars.com/news3.html"

for 67 Shelby GT 500 EXP...........only one in existence.

2. jbsteven

jbsteven Well-Known Member

is this just some bad information or am I missing something?

only true Shelby big block vert?

3. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Learn to ignore the hype about that car. Isn't a stock 428 PI dual quad engine about 365HP? Do you think shelby really put some big stupid "experimental" decal across the top of the windsheild? Did they ever put EXP in the side stripes instead of GT 500? Too bad the fellow they bought it from sold out a couple of years early. He could have really taken a big sum to the bank.

4. 67st102

67st102 Member

Two vehicles are being confused here. The Green hornet is a green hardtop that was the prototype vehicle for the California Special cars. Fred Goodell the chief engineer at Shelby American did assist in the restoration of this car. Therefore I believe the EXP on the rocker panel stripes is correct for that vehicle.

The 67 convertible mentioned above is a prototype 67 convertible - therefore the mention of only "67" big block convertible. This car was updated to 68 fiberglass specs by Shelby American back in 67/68. Obviously there were other big block convertibles - just 1968s and 1969s

Just wanted clarify things now that 2 different prototype cars are being discussed and did not want anybody to be confussed by that. The 67 convertible prototype is at volo auto museum. The Green Hornet hardtop I believe resides out west somewhere in California or Arizona.

5. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

Not to confuse anyone here but I found a little History on "Little Red" so we can seperate these two cars. Green Hornet is also mentioned near the bottom. BTW, has anyone ever seen the "High Country Special" mentioned at the bottom?

1968 CALIFORNIA SPECIAL HISTORY

Late Aug '66 1967 Mustang production begins.

Sep '66 1967 Shelby production begins at Shelby American, L.A.

Jan '67 Shelby experimental coupe "Little Red" hand built.

Aug '67 Little Red shown at L.A. Sports Show at L.A. Coliseum.

Aug '67 Little Red shown at 1968 Shelby & Ford Performance Dealer show, Riverside Raceway, CA.

Sep '67 Regular 1968 Mustang production begins.

Oct-Nov '67 Nationwide strike at Ford, temporarily halts production.

Oct '67 Lee Grey visits Shelby American to borrow Little Red for 1 week.
    Lee Grey wants to buy parts from A.0. Smith to modify Mustang coupes at L.A. area dealerships.

Oct '67 Lee Grey meets with Lee Iaccoca to discuss a Mustang for California. Little Red is there to illustrate his idea.

Oct-Nov '67 Little Red air shipped to Dearborn, requested by Henry Ford II.

Dec-Jan '68 Shelby Automotive requested by Ford to develop "California Special." California Mustang gets approval and marketing money (initial order for 6,180 GT/CS parts sets).

Dec-Jan '68 Prototype GT/Sport Coupe (GT/SC) concurrently developed by Ford for possible national sales. Rejected for GT/CS.

Jan 15, '68 ACSCO, a company in Burbank, is contracted to do hood locks, side scoop screens, and later, side script. Is also California site for GT/CS prototype review and detail development.

Jan 15, '68 Side stripes contracted to Shelby supplier in California.

Late Jan '68 Final review of GT/CS at ACSCO in Burbank by So. California Ford executives. Script controversy resolved (approval given).

Late Jan '68 Secret meeting with No. California Ford dealers, executives and advertising executives in Pico Rivera (approval given).

Late Jan '68 Brochure, postcard, and newspaper advertising produced.

Feb 1-10,'68 Seven prototype GT/CS cars built for Ford dealer "unveiling" party (handmade "California Special" script by ACSCO).

Feb 15, '68 Ford dealer party at L.A.'s prestigious Century Plaza Hotel; 1000 GT/CS cars ordered, breaking wholesale record. (AlI cars on hand were sold).

Feb 20, '68 Unveiled to No. California at San Francisco Fairmont Hotel Convention Center.

Feb 22, '68 First purchase order for "California Special" nameplates by Ford to ACSCO.

Feb 17, '68 Production of GT/CS cars begin, a few coupes dated as early as Dec 28,1967 used.

Feb 17-22, '68 Heavy GT/CS production to meet dealers' orders, special order "Nugget Gold" specials produced for Southern Oregon.

Feb 22, '68 First dealer advertising of GT/CS availability, Coberly Ford, L.A.

Mar 1, '68 Full page ad appears in L.A. Times. First GT/CS sold at dealership.

Mar 7, '68 Full page ad appears in Sacramento and Fresno Bee.

Mar 8, '68 Full page ad appears in San Francisco Chronicle.

Mar 15-20, '68 Heavy production of GT/CS at San Jose (many special order cars).

Apr 1, '68 Shelby and Ford introduce Cobra Jet 428.

Apr '68 Shelby Automotive's second coupe prototype "Green Hornet built from a GT/CS bought by Shelby.

Mid Apr '68 GT/CS production begins for other sales districts in the west.

May 11, '68 GT/CS production cut 22% from 5500 to 4325, due to low sales.

Jun-Jul '68 High Country Specials produced for Denver District.

Jul 30, '68 End of GT/CS (HCS) production.

Early Aug '68 End of plant production of Mustangs and Cougars at San Jose plant.

Sep '68 '69 model year Mustang production begins....

6. mherman2

to add to this, checkout this account by Volo Auto Museum. Carrol Shelby confirmed it was indeed the 1 prototype 1967 GT500 convertible ever built that they have there.

After reading this, I have to ask what happened to the 1966 convertible protoype mentioned??

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
  7. jbsteven

jbsteven Well-Known Member

8. rcgt350

rcgt350 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine was just at the Shelby Factory in Vegas and saw the EXP on display there in the showroom.
    Randy

9. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

I'm always leary of what someone says their story is about a car. I like to see actual facts, not "this guy said this" some 35 years later.

10. mherman2

I saw the Green Hornet and the 1st 1965 Shelby GT350 about 8 hours ago. They are in the garage behind the Barret Jackson showroom in Scottsdale Arizona up on a lift sitting over the top of two 427 Cobras.

The GT350 was a gift from Carrol Shelby to the Jackson family. He signed the car and mentioned the Jackson's daughters name "Shelby" on the side of it.

11. 66gtk

66gtk Well-Known Member

OK, I can't resist....

Am I allowed to name my kids "Shelby", or will I be in violation of Trademark and have to pay a handsome sum to use the name?

12. Jan_R

Jan_R Member

Okay, just to keep you updated:
    The website is now online.

www.EXP500.com

Hope you like it.
    I will add more photos & facts as I get them.

Seeya,
    Jan

13. Joker

Joker Member

There is an artical about it in Motor Trend Classic January/Febuary 2006.

14. Jan_R

Jan_R Member

Hello, me again.

I'm visiting California in march and would love to see the car.
    Can anyone tell me where it is? Is it part of the Shelby museum?

I found this picture:
    http://www.dr-mustang.com/uploads/forums/dscn0707.jpg

Does anybody know this place?

Kind regards, Jan

15. thefordshow

thefordshow Well-Known Member

Did the '67 convertible ever get fitted with '67 shelby fiberglass, and if so has any documentation been found to confirm this or was it always a '67 car with '68 fibrglass? It a very cool car and should have gone into production.

16. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge no one has every produced any documentation, including pictures, of the 67 convertible in 1967 Shelby trim.

17. hamiltoncox

hamiltoncox Member

This from notes about Shelby Prototypes circa August 1967:

4. Updating of Convertible & fastback '68 proto'
    A. Awaiting seats & inside trim for Installation in both (Van Aiken-Hansen)
    B. Awaiting prototype convertible roll bar due August 14
    C. Awaiting correct Gas tank filler metal decal for installation on gas tank filler & wheel covers (Nuznoff)
    D. Awaiting fenderside Ornaments & glove box ornaments (leVoie)
    E. Top boot to be modified locally by trim shop (due 8-10-67)
    F. Inside trim panels to be vinyl covered locally.

5. "Little Red" to be updated to 68 exterior
    A. "Sunny" working on Hood & Lower Back Panel

What is clear is that the vert didn't have a roll bar prior to mid August '67.
    "Nunznoff" is a reference to Jerry Nunznoff, the Shelby purchasing guy. "Sunny" is a reference to Sonny Fee, the Shelby Paint Shop manager.

18. ELJ1st500

ELJ1st500 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Does your source document(s) have any information about further engineering department plans for 67411F--0100-ENG., the first production GT 500? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Eric

19. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Any chance of seeing the full text of this document? How about a scan? Do you have anything else similar in your archive? Thanks.

20. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

I will go with faithful restoration, not exact on the Green Hornet. I think the use of the Shelby plate is a stretch. I am not slamming the car, it's just very difficult to determine what a prototype may have looked like, because unlike the production cars, they are not standardized. It's almost hard as reading these posts that churn up on the forum after two years.
    :whistle: