Join Shelby Forums Today

Sudden loss of power

Discussion in 'General Website Info & Help' started by Kenny G, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Kenny G

Kenny G New Member

2008 Shelby GT500 sudden loss of power after about a 100 mile ride, while driving thru a state park at about 25mph. Car acted like it was starving for gas, or possibly flooding. While trying to get it to run properly by trying different positions of the gas peddle, the fuel gauge suddenly dropped from about 3/8th tank to empty, and the message said 0 miles to empty. Was able to get it to a gas station about 2 miles up the road by modulating the gas peddle. Put exactly 9.8 gallons of 93 octane in, which filled it up, and started it and it ran like a champ since then (about 50miles).
    The check engine light never came on, it obviously had plenty of gas, and the same thing happened about 1000 miles ago after driving at freeway speeds for about 200 miles.
    The car currently has only about 1400 miles, and has been started often over the past 8 years. It has been in a climate controlled environment since new, has had stabilizer in the gas, and the first incident happened while on a 1000 mile trip after it was purchased about a week ago.
    HELP, I am stumped. I'm pretty knowledgable, having built a 1933 ford street Rod, but I have never encountered anything quite like this. If anyone has any ideas, I sure would appreciate it.
    Thank you

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Modern engines and fuel systems generally do not like to sit for long periods of time, and with modern blends of fuel, have a tendency to varnish quicker than non blended fuels

In this order:

Fuel filter?
    In tank pick up and fuel pump?
    Flush the fuel system completely?

The fuel tank level sensor dropping to zero, the car stalling, and the car only taking 9.8 gallons of gas to fill a 16 gallon fuel tank makes me wonder if your gas tank vent is not blocked or clogged as well.

Bill S.

3. Kenny G

Kenny G New Member

Thank you Bill!