Join Shelby Forums Today

Hello all from SW Colorado

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Mike Christie, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Mike Christie

Mike Christie Well-Known Member

I purchased used on 11/29/67 a 1966 Shelby GT350, s/n SFM6S1257 at Courtesy Ford in Denver CO. I still have dreams of the Shelby to this day.

In the process of a recent move and coming across an old box of family records that I must "sort through", I found yesterday original documents for the car. One document is for the one year warranty and the other is the title for the car. I can't for the life of me figure out why I would have the title(?), but I do.
    Would these original document have any use to the present owner of (my) car?They are in perfect condition since they haven't seen daylight since that time.
    I also have the details and photos of the history from that time til when I traded it in for a 1967 Shelby GT500.
    Is there a way to check to see whom might own my old car so that I may contact them? Or maybe someone on this site.
    The car was British Racing Green originally and I had it painted Ford Competition Orange w/ white stripes.
    Thanks for any help.
    Mike Christie

2. gjz30075

gjz30075 Well-Known Member

Hello Mike,
    Welcome. I think the current owner, if there is one, would love to have any documentation you have. Try contacting www.saac.com and email the '66 registrar.

3. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Hi Mike, According to the SAAC Registry, Mike Shamburg purchased this vehicle and painted it poppy red with white stripes. 1257 was repainted Ivy green in 1970 and it was wrecked on 11/16/1991. Current owner as of 3/96 is Dan Bell of Denton,Texas. Hope this helps. Len

4. Mike Christie

Thank you, Man, that was quick response.
    Yes, you are correct....I am Mike Shamburg. I legally changed my name in 1988 to my mother's maiden name. Personal family reasons only. No legal problems. Mom raised me, dad was a ....well anyway, don't want to get into any of that unless it's really neccessary. (I also have the legal name change documents).
    I purchased the car and mom signed for it. She wasn't pleased that I drag raced it at various 1/4mi strips near Denver until I showed her the trophy's I won with it. She was still less than amused but managed a small smile.
    I left Denver and drove the car to the west coast in late 67 or early 68. It was still green in color then. I had the car painted the "poppy red" at a small body shop on Olympic Blvd. in eas LA near where I worked at the time. Ther lower front faccia was left green because of the minor damage that was caused in Denver when I was at a stop light on east Colfax ave. at 4 A.M. and I let my foot off the brake just enough to tap his rear bumper. I was young, working "round" the clock and just almost fell asleep at the light behing him. My fault.
    Any way, I don't want to bore you with all the details, but I had a couple of really good years with this car and I wish it was in my garage right now.
    Mike

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2006
  5. Mike Christie

Thanks, Len.
    I will try to contact him.
    Mike Christie

6. SFM6S2015

SFM6S2015 Well-Known Member

I don't know of a Dan Bell in Denton, But I do know Jack Bell of Denton Tx. Around 96 he had two green 66s. One was Pat Shelbys company car and the other was I think a 4 spd car he bought as part of a two car deal out of Louisianna. If your search for Dan Bell dosen't pan out let me know and I will give you Jack's office #.

7. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Here's Pat's '66. He drove it as a company car in the late 60's and bought it around '96.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  8. Mike Christie

Is either one of Pat's green cars number 1257? Maybe the one in the picture?
    Sob!
    Mike

9. SFM6S2015

SFM6S2015 Well-Known Member

I think Pat's car is a auto. It's the other green one that Jack had that may be the one you are looking for.

10. Mike Christie

6S1257 was an automatic, at least when I owned it from 67-68 range.
    Mike

11. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

I'll check the serial next time I see the car but I know it's not an auto....at least not now.

12. Mike Christie

rshelby, thanks for the help in locating 1257, if neither of Pat's cars are 1257 then hopefully Dan Bell still owns the car. I called him (Dan) and left message, but haven't heard back yet.
    Thanks again, everyone.
    Mike

13. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

Hey Mike,

Any updates to this story?

robin

14. Mike Christie

Hi Robin.
    I never did hear back from the message I left. I still have the paperwork and don't really know what to do with it at this point.
    I had to temporarily move on to another project involving real estate, but would sure like to get the documents to the proper owner, if there is one.
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Mike

15. J.Bailey

J.Bailey Well-Known Member

You have probably done the best thing that you....

could possibly do by posting the information on here. It's amazing how information spreads from this website. Also, those old titles, photos, paperwork, etc. would be a wonderful Christmas present to any Shelby owner.

16. Mike Christie

I still have the original documents for 1257. Title application and 1 year warranty from Courtesy Ford. Dan or Jack Bell? Or whoever wants the two pages, just reply. I will give my phone no., email or whatever needed. These are the real original documents for that car.
    Any help appreciated.
    Michael Christie
    sfm6s1257
    updated email address today 4/28/14. Above post was 4/27/14.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014