Join Shelby Forums Today

shelby rims?

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by hotrodd64, Jan 14, 2006.

1. hotrodd64

hotrodd64 New Member

I went to my local swap meet a few months ago and got a killer deal on some old mags, sloted mags, two were 15x10s and two were 15x8s i paid 40 dollars for all of them, when i got home i started cleaning them up and polishing them, and to my surprise the two 15x8s have Shelby GT500 cast into the back of the rims? I was wondering if these rims have any value, plus there slotted mags, and ive never seen a shelby with slotted mags? can anyone help with some history and maybe some value?

2. Seaweed

Seaweed Well-Known Member

I have seen some of those on a 67 shelby.---S.

3. SFM6S2015

SFM6S2015 Well-Known Member

I saw a set on a 69 gt 350 that was for sale in the Dallas years ago. Jerry Heasly had a rare finds article in Mustang and Fords Magazine on a set a few months ago.

4. hotrodd64

hotrodd64 New Member

So to the right person these would be important, ive looked online and cant find anything else on these, none for sale, ive been to hemmings, ebay, all through yahoo, craigslist, mustang sites, well thanks for your help, maybe someone else could have some more information, or interest, thank you

5. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Are you sure they didn't say Shelby CAL 500 on the back?
    Quite common slot mags in the end of the sixties, beginning of the
    seventies. They were available in many dimensions but to my
    knowledge they were only original on one Shelby, the Shelby
    Europa in 71-72 and the wheel size was 15x7. They made only
    14 of these cars so they were very rare indeed.
    A guy in Finland owns two convertibles, a 71 and a 72 and
    a friend of mine in Sweden owns a 71 sportsroof (fastback)
    Texas Swede

6. hotrodd64

hotrodd64 New Member

for sure they say Shelby GT500, its clear, can i post pics on here?

7. 2007GT500

2007GT500 Well-Known Member

You can post pics but they have to be hosted on another site then linked to show up. If you can't do it or don't know how, feel free to e-mail me and I'll put them up for you. hatchfinder@gmail.com

8. hotrodd64

hotrodd64 New Member

Shelby cal 500 rims

Excuse me upon further cleaning of the rims, i also took some pictures and i will post them here, they are Shelby "CAL500" rims, 15x8.5, any more info on these rims please, thank you guys [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2006
  9. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

This is not true. You can post them here easily. Just scroll down past the "submit reply" button and click the "manage attachments" button. Then attach your photos. Or you can upload them to the Shelby Forums Photo Gallery and link them into your post with the "insert image" button. Please let me know if you need any help hotrodd64. Thanks,
    Randall

10. 2007GT500

2007GT500 Well-Known Member

Cool, I guess we really do learn something everyday. Thanks for the tip.

11. raunoh

raunoh New Member

As reply to the text by Texas Swede: I am the owner of both Shelby Europa Convertibles ever made, both cars are 1971, the goldenbrown car is actually made in Dec 16, 1970 and the green convertible on May 13, 1971, though the scheduled dates differ 2-3 days, so as by Dearnborn manufacturing dates. Twelve cars were Fastbacks; Claude Dubois used term fastback for originally Mustang Sportsroof. Only 2 Shelby Europa cars were originally 1972 Mustangs as their VIN.

The 14x7" Shelby rims did not fit, since the bigger brake calibers used in Europas did touch the weigh balancing pieces, even by using the thinnest ones available from the market. Therefore 15x7" rims are needed in front. This 15x7" size is rather difficult to find with Ford 5x4.5" bolt pattern, but I was successful in finding such a set for my green car from eBay auction site after about 3 years from several auctions.

The smaller 14x6" rims fit nicely to my 64-1/2 Mustang Convertible.

Shelby Cal 500 rims were available for many cars, only the bolt pattern was drilled to fit Mercedes, Porsche, Mustang, GM cars, Volkswagen, etc. and the Shelby Wheel Catalog from 1971-1972 describes practically every car from that era. I am not sure whether Shelby Cal 500 rims were used as original rims for 1971-1972 Shelby de Mexico cars (all were Hardtop models because of Mexican Laws at that time).

Link to Shelby Europa website: http://www.ponysite.de/sheleur.htm

12. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Nice to hear from Finland, my wife's country of birth.
    I bought two 15x7 Shelby Cal 500 for my Swedish friend's
    Shelby Europa on ebay as well and packed them in a suitcase
    and took them to him in Sweden when going on vacation.
    He had three wheels so now he has a full set.
    In 1982, I visited Claude Dubois in Brussels to bid on a 66 GT350
    he had in his shop. Think the serial number was 6S944. We never agreed
    on the price but I bought some other stuff like a couple of 67 owners
    manuals, 2-65 Cragar wheel centers, some brochures and a blue
    Shelby Europa stripe kit. My friend has that one to make copies
    for his car. If you like to discuss Shelby's, write me a private email.
    Bo Sewallius alias Texas Swede

13. raunoh

raunoh New Member

A private message was sent to Texas Swede, hopefully it has been received.

When looking at the old pictures on Shelby de Mexicos, Maverick-based Shelbys in 1971 had clearly slotted aluminum wheels, and therefore my guess is that those were 14x7" (or 14x6" as alternative) Shelby Cal 500 rims. And accordingly, my sophisticated guess is that Mustang-based 1971-72 Shelby de Mexico GT351s had 15x7" Shelby Cal 500 wheels.

U.S.INDY MAG wheels look very close to Shelby Cal 500 wheels, it is rather impossible to make a difference, so I make a guess that both these were originally made by the same rim maker who just put a different name on the rims, and accordingly, were sold by different selling organizations. But nevertheless, the quality is likely not different, I believe. Does someone know more details and facts on U.S.INDY and Shelby Cal 500 wheels ?

There are numerous similar-looking slotted wheels on market and for sale on eBay: ET, Fenton, Western, Wolfrace, some to be mentioned among many others, and also without names, some rims made in Japan.

14. kellyvw

kellyvw New Member

Do you still have the 15x8 Shelby Cal 500 wheels? Are they 4 lug? If so I might be interested in purchasing.

15. Cobrafixer

Cobrafixer Active Member

Hi, Jerry did the article on the wheels I had, they were NOS, the boxes had some water damage, I sold them on ebay a while back, I think the article he did was a few years agos, July 07 maybe?

I'm not sure what they sold for but I want to say between 600-700, they were complete with lugs and center caps 14x6 or 7.

16. lovely09

lovely09 Member

Based on my research,Slotted mag wheels Shelby Cal 500.