Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 GT 500 Dual Quad air cleaner cover... Natural or Painted?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by snakeoilbrian, May 2, 2016.

1. snakeoilbrian

snakeoilbrian Well-Known Member

Can anybody tell me what is correct? I've seen the top cover in a natural finish and also a painted black wrinkle finish. My car is a late build (5/25) and is number 2914. Thanks!!!

2. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

There were two types of 67 GT500 lids used in production . The sand cast style was used early in production up to maybe the end of Dec 1967. The sand cast style was bare aluminum . It was slightly thicker and heavier then the diecast version. The die cast lid was introduced because it was less expensive to make on a large scale .The diecast lids were all black wrinkle finished. I believe it had to do with the slight imperfections that the diecast pieces would have on larger flat surfaces. If you bead blast a diecast lid prior to wrinkle painting you will see what I mean. interesting that the diecast 66,67,68,69 diecast SB valve covers were also wrinkle finished . The diecast 67 oil/amp gauge was black wrinkle and 68 BB diecast valve covers were also Black wrinkle (67 was sand cast).Your late production car would definitely have a diecast lid from the factory and it would be black wrinkle. There is a distinct difference in the "COBRA" lettering between a repro sand cast lids (no repro diecast lids that I am aware of) that can be distinguished but the easiest way to tell is that there is a slight witness line around the COBRA letters (rectangular outline) . On the back side of the lid you can see pencil eraser size marks made from the diecast material injectors into the mold. I hope this helps. There are many lids that have been replaced with the sand cast repros over the years.I hope this helps.

3. snakeoilbrian

snakeoilbrian Well-Known Member

Hi Bob. I thought you might be the one to reply. Thanks for the info. While restoring the car, I did paint it black wrinkle. I bought a dual quad setup just after I bought the car back in '76. My car was missing the original setup. I kept seeing magazine photos of unpainted tops. I knew that most of the photos were taken just after the cars came out which meant they were early '67's and mine is a late unit. Well I guess that means I'm done for now. Are there any articles out there, or, what can you tell me about where the engines were built? I've heard stories that they were built back east and shipped to San Jose. Thanks again!
    Brian

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

The FE engines were assembled at the Dearborn engine plant and the SB were assembled at the Cleveland plant. The complete already Shebyized engines were shipped to the San Jose plant for installation.