Join Shelby Forums Today

two questions about 67 SHELBY

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by onelimegold, Mar 15, 2016.

1. onelimegold

onelimegold Active Member

First , i need to know if radio ground strap at cowl dash was used on 67 Shelby`s equiped with all fiberglass hood ?? second , in your opinion , which vendor provide the best rubber trunk mat on the market and closest to the original for a 67 Shelby fastback ?? thanks for your tips . Reggie.

2. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Yes the ground strap was in place when the incomplete cars were delivered to SA and not attempt was made to remove them (SA probably didn't even know what they were for). No rubber mats on 67 68 69/70 Shelby. 67 Shelby used a plaid mat with a fiber backing. It was very flammable and so discontinued. NPD sells a "concours" mat which is the best repro at this time. It is a little different shade of plaid then original ,a little different backing material then original and is not sewed on the corners like original . It is a lot better then a 65/66 plaid rubber mat or one of those cheesy felt back plaid mats. I hope this helps.

3. onelimegold

onelimegold Active Member

Hi Mr Gaines , First let me thank you for your constant efforts given to provide answers to us , it is more appreciated since there are many questions who remains unanswered on the forum . back to my questions , i kept looking at Shelby s pics on the net and it ended that like you said , ground strap was most of the time in place with fiberglass hood . since fiberglass is not conductive the strap was of course useless .

concerning the trunk mat , i bought the one from Virginia mustang , the same you described in your reply . plaid with the correct backing and sewed corners , it fits pretty well in the trunk .

again , many thanks !!! have a nice summer !!

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

thanks for the complement as I is nice to be appreciated. The ground strap would most likely be removed by a passed owner or during restoration. There would be no reason for SA to spend the time to remove it and as I said before if they even noticed it the workers probably wouldn't know what it was for. Besides many personal observations the strap can be seen on cars delivered to SA for conversion in vintage photos. NPD sells a faithful reproduction of the ground strap.

rshelby likes this.