Join Shelby Forums Today

New Guy from Wisconsin - Dad's Car

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Herb, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Herb

Herb New Member

Greetings!!!
    The GT500 was my Dad's daily driver. He was a safety engineer at A.O. Smith in Milwaukee and bought the car from the company in 1970. It was one of two company demo cars - the other I believe was a GT350 convertible.
    It was repaired for rust damage in the '70s and is now going through a complete rebuild in my shop with the help of Jim & Jesse at Shelby Parts & Restoration.
    This will be met with mixed reviews, I'm sure - it's being built with Summit Racing support - modified AJE suspension, drive train, brakes, and HVAC. The 428 is now a 462 with a Comp Cams roller, Edelbrock heads & Pro-Flo 2 EFI, etc, etc. It will look stock inside & out with the exception of modified front seats.
    The '68 Cougar was/is a "learning exercise" in preparation for the Shelby. It's got a '99 Cobra, 5-speed, etc and is frequently tracked with the Northwoods Shelby Club since 2007. We were invited to the Optima Invitational in 2012.

Attached Files:

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

It's your car, you do with it what you like, my 69 GT500 has the original motor, but it is far from stock internally, most are not ;)

As for the late model drivetrain in the cougar, I see quiet a few of those coming out of John Bittle's shop in CA, John also has been doing that for many years.

Also, welcome, you'll find most here are open to modifications on both cars, again, your car, your choices.

As for the GT500, what is the chassis number (last four digits will do)?

Regards,

Bill S.
    Retired road racer

3. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Welcome Herb. I agree with Bill, the posters here don't freak out if your car is modified and since it is your car, you get to decide what you do with it.

My '66 is like a survivor while my '67 is not exactly stock but looks pretty much stock. Just ask your questions and we'll try to get them answered.

4. Herb

Herb New Member

Thanks gentlemen. The VIN is 0237.

As you can see, it's down to nothing. Got the front frame rails welded in yesterday, with the AJE K-member fit in too.

Does anybody know of a tuned full length header that will clear a Canton oil pan with the rear sump and side extensions? Using a hydraulic clutch, so no worries about the old linkage.

Attached Files: