Join Shelby Forums Today

Looking for 1968 GT500KR Convertible sold new in Birmingham, Alabama-Pictures in post

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Restocreations, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Restocreations

Restocreations Member

My uncle bought this car new in 1968 after returning home from Vietnam. I have some good stories that I am sure the current owner would like to hear. The car was alcapulco blue with black interior and had a 4 speed. Unfortunately I do not have the VIN, but i Know that he purchased the car from a dealership in downtown Birmingham, Alabama.

Here are some pictures of the car. The picture with my uncle, Thomas W. Sheehy Jr., is from Fort Bragg in 1972. I believe he sold the car in the late seventies after it was caught in a flood in Homewood, Alabama. He could never get it to run right after the engine took on water, so he made the difficult decision to sell it. I believe that was in 1978, but I will need to verify.

I realize this is a shot in the dark, but since so few of these cars were produced, there might be a chance of located the current owner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Re: Looking for 1968 GT500KR Convertible sold new in Birmingham, Alabama-Pictures in

If we tell you the number, can you tell us all the stories?

I asked your question to the 1968 Shelby Registrar, Vinny Liska. Please contact him directly at: 68registrar@saac.com

He will be interested in the information you have.

Oh, your uncle's car is 8T03R210158-03537. 4spd, air conditioned convertibles, very cool!

3. Restocreations

Restocreations Member

Re: Looking for 1968 GT500KR Convertible sold new in Birmingham, Alabama-Pictures in

No, it did not have Air Conditioning. I will be more than happy to share the stories I know of and attempt to find out more.

4. Coralsnake

Well, maybe we should check on the air conditioning. You check with your uncle, I will check the good book.

Also ask him about shavings in the carburetor. Car was sold at OZ Hall.

But, thats the serial number. Got anymore pictures? The car is still around...I will look for pictures of it now...

www.thecoralsnake.com

5. Restocreations

Restocreations Member

Thank you so much! This brought tears to my eyes! I am sending you a PM.

6. Coralsnake

Best to email me here

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

7. 2+2=gt350

2+2=gt350 Active Member

Shavings in the carburetor?? Do tell more, sounds like an interesting story. Was this a common problem?? Shavings from what?? Would love to hear more. Thanks:thumbup:

8. Coralsnake

The information is from the warranty records. It does not specify what the shavings were from. If you need more information about SAAC warranty records, you can contact them directly.

Here is a more current picture of the car.

[​IMG]