Join Shelby Forums Today

1968 GT500 KR shut off problem

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mtrhed, Dec 1, 2005.

1. mtrhed

mtrhed Member

I have a 68 GT500 KR that has an intermittant problem - starts up fine and runs great, but for no obvious reason will sometimes shut off while running. Starts right back up but you never know when it might shut off again. Doesn`t seem to matter if the engine is hot or cold . Sometimes it will not shut off at all and other times it might do it 3 times in a 5 mile trip. I`m open to all ideas and suggestions. Thanks :confused:

2. Tout

Tout Well-Known Member

Your problem sounds electrical, check all wiring including coil wires, may even be the ignition switch.BTW do you still have the starter delay connected? I would look for a loose wire, easiest to fix,hardest to find sometimes.
    Tout

3. mtrhed

mtrhed Member

Starter delay is not on the car. I`ve replaced the fuel tank , fuel pump and cleaned all lines so I suspect an electrical issue also . Bought a new distributor to coil wire - mine looks very brittle - so I`ll try that along with a new set of points and condenser. I also considered the ignition switch - could be the problem - I`ll try that after the coil and distributor checkout.

4. jbsteven

jbsteven Well-Known Member

ignition switch

5. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

ignition switch or connector on back of switch. Ford had a service repair connector for switch, I might have one around if you need it.

6. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

I bet it's either the ignition switch or coil.
    /Bo

7. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Best thing to do. New switch and MSD dist., coil and box. Never think about it again.

8. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

Often overlooked------make sure there is a ground cable on the car. It should go from the firewall to the rear of the right head. You could be making intermittent ground from another source. The ignition doesn't need much. I remember a fellow that had his engine rebuilt[67 or 68 GT500] and he had the same problem as you. He was told to change everything from the ignition switch to the complete wiring harness[which he did] and still had the same problem. It turned out to be the ground strap. A couple of bucks and five minutes.
    PS-- It could also be the factory tach.
    Frank