Join Shelby Forums Today

Cast Iron Manifold vs Aluminum High rise ?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by ghost, Nov 26, 2005.

1. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

I have an early 68 model Shelby GT350 with the original cast iron manifold and autolite carborator. It also has the marcell fog lites. I have read several places that these items were recalled in 1968.

Here's my questions folks:

1. How much performance increase will I get by replacing the cast iron manifold with the aluminum high rise and the autolight with a holley 600cfm? It appears the original owner, now past on at age 93 never did the recall swap on the manifold, carborator, or fog lights in 1968.

2. Should I hang on to or try to sell the old old manifold on ebay or just toss it? The autolite carborator had the automatic choke assembly cut off, ( I really mean cut off ). Should I toss the carborator (it works ) ?

3. The marscell fog lights are shot, should I replace them with lucas or try to rebuild them?

4. Do you think Ford would honor the recall 38 years later if I were to contact them?

Anyone else been down this path?

2. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

Save your Old Parts. it will always benefit your Resale value as it lends to the Cars Authenticity. second, replace the intake with a nice Aluminum one and a Brand new Holley 600cfm Carburetor. it will feel like your Car picked up 50 HP while losing 20 Pounds! Getting the Marchalls rebuilt is a great idea. I remeber someone had made nice Plastic lenses that were almost undetectable when comapred to Glass ones! Thats How I would do it.

3. SFM6S2015

SFM6S2015 Well-Known Member

I would do the aluminun intake and Holley swap and save the marcells if possible. No matter what you SAVE the old parts. They are part of the history of the car.

4. Tout

Tout Well-Known Member

One of the changes for 1968 was the 302CID , the engine was not by any means a burn the rubber off the rim power plant, one of the reasons so many 428's were ordered, with that said,you could make the changes and may see a slight difference. But hold onto the parts , you may have something far more valuable, it's correct history.It is always easer to take things off, but putting it back the way it was is much harder,items get sold,lost or just get negelected.
    Tout

5. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

As far as the manifold/carb it is not extremely rare as it is a J code setup. They are however date coded to your car and I would keep even if you do the swap. As far as the foglite, either is appropriate but I feel the marchals are a better choice if restorable. A good set of vintage Lucas (correct cables/lens) will run you about $400.00. As long as your lens aren't cracked or badly chipped the marchals can be restored. I have a vendor that does them for about $300 which includes replating housings/hardware, buffing lens and new wiring. They are nicer looking than Lucas as well IMHO

6. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input, I asked RATS to order and install the correct aluminum highrise and holley carborator. I will set asside a shelf in the garage for old parts. I will let you know how much more rubber can be burned off the tires in a few days with the new set up.

I

7. SFM6S2015

Please let us know. I have a 65 A code fastback that is stock and a Cobra intake in the attic. You may just be the insperation I need to marry the two. :wacko:

8. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

Here is the poop on the Aluminum high rise manifold Rats got for the Ghost
    the Aluminum manifold in it has a manila tag on it that says:
    Ford Restoration Parts
    Master Sample
    Ford Svc Pt# S2MS 9424 A
    Approved by M. Cibor
    Date: 7/1/97

The Carburater is a Holley model # 4150, 600 cfm
    we did the arithmetic 302 cubic inches/2 x 8000 rpm/1728 = 699 cfm
    assumed a volumetric effientcy of 85 % ( Holley book average ve for perfomance cars )
    699 x .85= 594 cfm

Hopefully I will be able to report to you in a day or two how this works perfomance wise when we fire it up to try it on street. The set up looks pretty and the air filter looks like it will line up with the hood scoops for a more direct ram air effect.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2005
  9. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

Got to test the Ghost yesterday evening.

The car is much quicker, seems like about 50 hp more power with the new high rise aluminum manifold and a fresh clean 600 cfm Holley.

The car is much more drivable at lower speeds,( in the neighborhood and traffic ) more power to accellerate in 2nd and 3rd gear without having to down shift.

Accerlation from standing start is incredible . More power available to just dump the clutch and go, not having to ease the clutch out as before. Higher top end rpms, less power drop at high rpms. Slam it into second and it goes.

The air cleaner is now in line with the hood scoops, getting the full ram air affect of the hood design.

The engine looks like a muscle car engine now.

The original recall of the Ford carborator and cast iron manifold on the early 68 shelby gt350 was for good reason.

10. SFM6S2015

Sounds like your happy with the swap. I guess my 65 is inline for a manifold swap now. :dance: