Join Shelby Forums Today

CSX3184: the Cobra in the river, where did they get the final body they have on it

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by bitzman, Sep 1, 2015.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I sped read the story in Musclecar magazine about this stolen and recovered
    car,(also said to be in Hemmings, haven't seen that article) where the owner tried to build his own bodywork but apparently it now has a better shaped alloy body.
    Anybody know where this present body was bought from?

I think it was stolen and recovered a year later in the early '70s,so at that time AC Cars Ltd./ was still making Cobra bodies
    for Brian Angliss, so it seems logical to me he could have rung up Angliss and bought a body.

Did the car have a 428 block? I know it's got twin four barrels, just wondering if the '66 car was sold new with a 428 instead of a side oiler 427? It was a smooth hood car, not a S/C

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

3. bitzman

Re: CSX3184: the Cobra in the river, where did they get the final body they have on i

----------------------
    Thanks for the URLs recommended. I finally went out and spent $6.00 on the magazine which answered almost all of my questions, I highly recommend it, It is Hemmings Musclecars, Oct '15 issue, great shot of the frame uncovered as first brought home. I notice in the preliminary discussion of the car a few years ago on the net that forum posters said two people were killed in the getaway but the magazine says one. The article did not discuss attempts by Cobra barn finders to buy it but maybe in the gathering of genuine Cobra owners scheduled later this month in Sun Valley, ID that will come up. The car could hardly have been secret if the owner was ordering body panels, mechanical parts, having the engine rebuilt, etc. It's a good thing the owner had a farm where he could store it at no cost, unlike most folks that have to sell a car when they lose their storage like me when I sold my first gullwing for $2500 because dad wouldn't let me park it in the garage....

4. bitzman

I showed the picture in the magazine to an engneer he he asked about wall thickness

He was wondering if the frame, being in the river/canal a year would be weakened by internal rust. I think because it was fresh water, and only a year, maybe not even measureable, but those 4" wide main tubes on a 427 Cobra seem pretty stout. I am sure he put some sort of rust resistant material inside during stsorage or the restoration. As far as all the other tubes you see in the Hemmings picture, the ones that support the body, I don't think they are as critical for safety as the two main frame tubes. I guess a marine engineer would have a better opinion--this engineer that asked that was from aerospace