Join Shelby Forums Today

Aftermarket Steering Wheel

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by rubbinisracing, Sep 1, 2015.

1. rubbinisracing

rubbinisracing New Member

I have 3 '67 GT500s and all are restored cars with their original steering wheels. The steering wheels have been restored also but I don't know who did the work on the wheels. The cars have were finished 7-8 years ago and have been stored in my facility which isn't climate controlled. I live in North Texas and its gets quite warm during the summer and in the winter the relative humidity is low.

I pulled one of the cars out the other day and noticed that its steering wheel has some slight cracking. I checked the other 2 cars and they all exhibit the same deterioration. I've since removed all 3 steering wheels and stored them inside.

I'm looking for an aftermarket wheel that will work with as little modification/hub change as possible while still looking somewhat original. I'm aware of Branda's repop wheel but $2500 is more than I want to spend for something that will most likely only be used when the cars are moved around. I'm looking for recommendations from the members here. What are guys using when they build clones/tributes?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Howard

2. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

If the wheel is only going to used when the cars are moved around (assume storage) like you say then use a stock Mustang wheel for that purpose. It bolts on easily and can be had cheap. The odd ball after market wood wheels others use for clones and tributes require adapters and such to install, horn working issues , and are not cheap .If you want a good looking wood wheel then leave the originals on and just refinish as needed. You may get to a point of diminished return trying to substitute a good looking replica wheel.