Join Shelby Forums Today

Rear lower interior side panel brackets '66 gt350

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by kram350, Jun 30, 2015.

1. kram350

kram350 New Member

I took a form of this question from another forum request sometime ago, but it never really got answered. So….

Did '66 cars ('65's too) have the two lower sheet metal brackets (that regular Mustangs have) under the rear seat area that the rear side panels bolt to? Did Ford delete these on '65 & '66 cars headed for Shelby? In '65's they totally get in the way of the overrides (and fiberglass covers), but in '66 with under rides they could have be retained? Did Shelby cut them out of the '65's or were they deleted by Ford in '65?
    In '66's with under rides they could be retained/welded in by Ford?

So should/would a '65 or '66 Shelby have/not have those brackets or any indication that they had ever been there? Seen some pictures on the web that a few '66's seem never to have had these welded in, they also have under rides. If I can remember my '65 never had any indication of them being there, but I haven't had the shelf out in years to really look to see either way?

Now restoring 6S2072 and either the brackets were never there or just removed for the previous owners overrides, which obliterated any evidence. Any help on this appreciated. To weld in or leave out is the question, as I am going back to under rides.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. seewin

seewin New Member

Mark, my '66 (1320) does not have the brackets, nor any sign that they were ever there. The car has been in my family for 40 years and I do not think the side panels were ever removed from car until just recently.
    Steve

3. kram350

kram350 New Member

Thanks for the input Steve. Based on what I have dug up and your input and I am leaning to leave them out !