Join Shelby Forums Today

69 GT500 turn signal switch failure

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by john428, May 20, 2015.

1. john428

john428 Member

just got our 69 GT500 back together after a ground up restoration, replaced turn signal sequencer, and flasher with the one from TBranda, also all wiring harness's also from Branda, now the t/s switch burns up within 1/2 hour of driving, everything works fine at first, then it seems to get hot during use, installed second switch left sit for the weekend then drove car yesterday and after about 1/2 hour started having many problems, ie front flashers only( with key off) then emergency flasher switch acted up and alt/ and dual brake warning light started to flash, am I right in thinking that there might be a short to ground somewhere? any help? much appreciated

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Re: 69 GT500 turnsignal switch failure

As mentioned on the saacforum, you have a short in the harness, not in the switch.

Bill S.

3. john428

john428 Member

that's what I figured, just wondered if any one had heard of problems with the new sequencer, or flashers, really just looking for a place to start t/s the wiring

4. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Dan is the guru of all things sequential when it comes to the Shelby turn signals. I'd pick his brain in a PM or in the thread so others can see it as well in the future.

Harness from the column switch to the main harness would be the place to start. Then work your way back from there. If you replaced the harnesses (any of them), I'd be looking closely at the pin connectors for color matching of the wiring coming in on both sides of it. I had an issue a while back with two wires that were crossed, and this was in a NOS harness. I was sitting in the car, trying to figure out whey something was not working, just staring at it, when my brain finally realized what I was looking at. A quick splice (not concourse mind you), and everything worked as it should. Went out and replaced the faulty harness with a new one (again), and all was as it should be.

Bill S.