Join Shelby Forums Today

Cobra Valve covers

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by ezvalet, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ezvalet

ezvalet New Member

Can anyone tell me how to refurbish/restore an original set of cobra valve covers for my 1966 ? I would like to keep it looking original.

I talked to a powder coating shop and they said that the air bubbles from the original mold will most likely get worse when he bakes them at a real high temp. The other issue was - he didnt have an aluminum color that matched.

Thx in advance for your suggestions

Jason

2. Freeway Flyer

Freeway Flyer Member

Most of us who restore originals will usually degrease them, then do a clean up with Eagle One Aluminum wheel cleaner. Make SURE you wash them with a mixture of water and baking soda to neutralize the acid. Then covers then have them glass beaded. Lightly polish the raised fins.. JUST THE TOP. I used a satin clear on my Le Mans covers.
    You don't want to powder coat them. My originals were discolored and had some mild corrosion on them.
    Sidebar: My friend who is an aircraft mechanic tanked them in the aluminum tank. They looked brand new when I got them back.

3. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

To not confuse those reading or searching later, the early 66 GT350 valve covers were sand cast and bare aluminum with polished fins and open letter "COBRA". The later 66 GT350 valve covers were die cast, black wrinkle finished with brushed fins and "COBRA" in closed style letters.