Join Shelby Forums Today

Shelby Dakota Engine Computer

Discussion in 'Shelby Dodge' started by allen45, Mar 5, 2015.

1. allen45

allen45 New Member

I have a 89 Dodge Shelby Dakota, one owner and when I decided to sell it the Engine computer quit. I searched high and low for another one and saw one for 675 dollars on E-bay.....too much. I took it out and sent it to a rebuild place which said they could rebuild anything. After about 6 weeks and a few phone calls they said it could not be repaired but they could order one and have it programmed. After 3 months of delayed build dates I asked them to sent it back, that took another month and 3 phone calls plus I had to get a credit for the 200+ dollars they were going to charge me.
    After some research online I read about some people using a computer from a van but the electric fan would not work and the tachometer would read about twice what it should. I searched the used parts database and found one (part #79-9889) at a junk yard...50 dollars and 15 shipping. The guy even printed a shipping label and tracking number while I was on the phone.
    When it got here I stuck it in and she fired right up but the electric fan came on with the key and the Tack read high. I took my old unit and took it apart. On the bottom board on the left hand side is an Eprom (27c256) with a sticker on it with a label of 471 the junk yard one had a label saying 889. With a lot of patience and a lot of solder wick I removed the Shelby Eprom. The Eprom from the junk yard unit I used a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and cut all the eprom legs, then heated each one and tapped it on a table and they came out cleanly. I then soldered my original Eprom on the junk yard unit and covered it with clear silicon rubber. Let it dry a couple of days and gave it a try. Engine cranked up, tack looks good, fans come on with the AC compressor and after the engine heats up the fans come on also.
    Hope this will be useful to someone.
    Dennis

2. convx4

convx4 New Member

Dennis, I know this is an old post but I have to ask.

I have SD#660 and my computers idle circuit shot craps last summer.
    Been trying to get it worked out.

What were the issues you were having with your SD computer?

Thank you for posting your Shelby Dakota computer experience.

3. allen45

allen45 New Member

The engine would not start. When I opened up the Engine computer there were burnt traces and a chip had popped a chunk out of it.