Join Shelby Forums Today

Colin Comer's new book: Shelby Mustang Fifty Years

Discussion in 'Shelby Collectibles: Books, Model Cars, Posters & ' started by JamesFee, Mar 4, 2015.

1. JamesFee

JamesFee Well-Known Member

OK, it's been a long time since I have posted to the forum being more of a lurker, but I wanted to share a chuckle.

I saw an ad for Colin Comer's new book and Amazon's one-click brought it to my door in two days. Now it's a nice enough book, heavy weight paper, good color photography and it appears to cover the models rather well. That being said, since I just got it, I flipped through to the section on 66's. There on page 117 is "A closeup of the 66 tach, manufactured by Farina for Shelby"

Having battled with the eccentricities of a 66 Faria tach, it sort of stood out for me and gave me a good laugh. Maybe the Farina gummed up the works.

No offense to Mr. Comer. It seems like quite a bit of work went into this book. I would recommend the book for any enthusiast's library.

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

3. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Colin Comer's new book: Shelby Mustang Fifty Years:the catalog description

For some reason on the publisher's website, it sort of ends mid-sentence. I am hoping to see some rare shots, Colin baby...

OFFICIAL CATALOG DESCRIPTION

Shelby Cobra
    The Snake that Conquered the World
    Colin Comer, Carroll Shelby
    In the early 1960s, Carroll Shelby, a Texas chicken farmer turned champion race driver, had the audacity to think
    he could start his own car manufacturing company. To further emphasize the gargantuan proportions of his
    confidence, Shelby decided his company would manufacture nothing but ultrahighperformance
    sports cars,
    beginning with the landmark Cobra, introduced in 1962. To the amazement of everyone except Ol' Shel' himself,
    Shelby Automobiles succeeded beyond anyone's wildest expectations, building cars that would provide
    benchmarks for performance that stand to this day and winning world championships in the process.
    Shelby Cobra is a complete history of Shelby's Cobra sports cars. It begins with the events that led up to
    Shelby's decision to build a highperformance
    sports car, continues with the story of the production Cobra street
    cars and racecars, and wraps up with Shelby's continuation cars.
    This special collector's edition includes new and updated material, with tributes to the late Carroll Shelby,
    postersized
    gatefolds with artwork by Hector Cadametori, and framable gar...
    Summary
    Contributor Bio
    Colin Comer, respected authority on collector cars, is editoratlarge
    for Sports Car Market and American Car
    Collector magazines and a contributing editor for Road & Track magazine. Colin also regularly appears in such
    diverse publications as the New York Times, Business Week, USA Today, among others. Comer is the author of
    the bestselling and critically acclaimed books MillionDollar
    Muscle Cars, The Complete Book of Shelby
    Automobiles, and Shelby Cobra Fifty Years. When not writing about cars, Colin is an avid vintage racer and pilot.
    He lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, with wife Cana, daughter Remington, and a herd of dogs. Official Website:
    www.colincomer.com
    Early in his career, Carroll Shelby's accomplishments as a race car driver included breaking landspeed
    records
    at Bonneville and winning Le Mans in 1959 with teammate Roy Salvadori. As a team manager, Carroll was part of
    the FIA World Grand Touring Championship as well as the Ford GT victories at Le Mans. When his health forced
    him to give up racing in 1960, Carroll turned his attention to design. The result is what is consid...