Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 upper lower scoops should be sealed with what? No clamps on the brake ducting?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Freeway Flyer, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Freeway Flyer

Freeway Flyer Member

I am reassembling my Shelby post return from paint. I noted in the "assembly manual" that Branda offers, that it respectively calls for SA60001 and SA60002 sealers.

After digging through, it appears that SA60001, known as "Gallant Adhesive" is actually RTV108. I could find no reference for the SA60002.

Anyone who has ever used the RTV108 knows that it is not only an adhesive, but is all but impossible to remove from surafces, i.e. fresh paint.
    I would rather use something much less agressive, yet will fulfill the duty as a sealer. I thought about using gray strip caulk.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have functional brake ducts, however I didn't note any clamps holding the ducting onto the scoop or the fiberglass outlet. Was silicone used to retain them, or was there clamps and they were just removed or omitted at some juncture?

As always, I thank all for the assistance.:thumbsup:

2. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Re: 1967 upper lower scoops should be sealed with what? No clamps on the brake ductin

In this case RTV=Clear silicone sealer on the scoops . I tape both sides of the seam put the sealer in the seam ,wipe excess with a finger then pull the tape off and let set up. That is how the factory did it. That is how I do it. It is your car so if you want to do it different then the historical look you can decide what is best for you. Brake ducts were secure with rivets from the factory .

3. Freeway Flyer

Freeway Flyer Member

Re: 1967 upper lower scoops should be sealed with what? No clamps on the brake ductin

Bob,
    I was concerned with the RTV getting on the paint Have you found a water soluble in your travels that does the job well?
    My ducts in the wheel wells have screws. The hose attachment to the scoop and the duct at the wheel well is what I was curious about. No clamps exist on the hose.

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

The tape I suggested takes most of the concern away. This is how all the pros do it. Ducts in wheelhouse ,hoses etc get rivets - no screws and no clamps from the factory .