Join Shelby Forums Today

69 Shelby Hood Pin Plates Question

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by aussie69GT500, Oct 15, 2005.

1. aussie69GT500

aussie69GT500 Member

Hi guys I posted this on the VMF but had no response so I'm hoping you can help.

I decided to replace (install) the hood pin plates on my car. My original hood pins are in good condition but at some stage the PO removed both the upper and under hood pin plates and used some generic crud. Anyway now I'm going to put new pin plates on but I need to know what orientation to mount them.

There is a 'keyhole' slot that forms part of the hole for the pin to go through. Does the keyhole have to point in a certain direction e.g toward the rear or inboard?

As always many thanks,

Doug :cigar:

2. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Just so I understand. You are talking about the plate that goes under the spring on top of the hood and the plate that keeps the pin from going back through the hood. The plate that goes under the twist pin should be a plane. No holes or slot. The plate that goes under the hood may or may not have a slot in it. I put mine facing 2 o'clock on pass. side and 10 o'clock on drivers side. This way the pin that twists into the bracket never lines up with the slot. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

3. aussie69GT500

aussie69GT500 Member

Thanks DJR. You're right...a picture is worth a thousand words, although you did hit my point exactly. The only question I still have is in regard to your statement that the top of hood plate does not have any holes or slots. I just bought some repo plates and they both (top and under hood) have the slots. As my car did not have the original pin plates I assumed these repos are correct. After your post I now believe they may not be correct. Are you able to post or email me a pic of your setup?

Thanks for your help,

4. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

I just check both of mine and each one has the original plates. The one on top does not have slot/keyhole. The plate on the bottom of the hood does. No digital camera so can't send any pics. Let me know if you need anymore info.

5. aussie69GT500

aussie69GT500 Member

Thanks DJR. I'll get in touch with Branda as that's where I got the repros from, See if I can find out what's what.

Cheers