Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 Shelby headlamp bucket grommets and headlamp wire retainers?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Freeway Flyer, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Freeway Flyer

Freeway Flyer Member

I am looking for the rubber grommets that are in the rear of some '67 Shelby headlamp buckets and the plastic Panduit wire retainers that were attached to the side of the hood latch support to keep the wiring in place. I noted the ones of Evilbay that aren't correct for the wiring, but have no clue where to start looking for the rubber grommets. I appreciate your assistance.

Keith

2. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I have a pair of the special gray wire clips but the rubber grommets are next to impossible to find . I have only seen the rubber grommets in used Shelby headlight buckets salvaged from a wreaked 67 Shelby. I have traded in Shelby parts for many years and have not seen any for sale separately. Most don't even know what they are for so I am sure many have been simply thrown away. Not to say you couldn't get lucky and find some but don't hold your breath. They are in such short supply most leave them out or use the unmodified small hole bucket in the fenders and the large hole buckets for the highbeam buckets. That way you have less to try and find. Remember the Shelby headlight buckets were modified and different then a regular headlight bucket sourced from a early big Ford and so they wouldn't be found in a unmodified headlight bucket . PM me if interested in the gray wire clips.

3. 67 Eight barrel

67 Eight barrel New Member

Keith,
    I found a very close match to the headlamp grommets. Steele rubber products makes them. The holes in my buckets are 1.250.
    The Steele catalog number I found that is closest to the one original I have is: 32-0220-21. It's 1.50 outside diameter, .250 center hole, 3/32 slot width. They are 4.50 each.

My inboard headlamp/hood latch support uses the plastic harness straps that holds the engine harness in place. Mr. Gaines would likely know if these are correct.

Dan

4. Bob Gaines

]Dan, you must not have buckets that had the Shelby hole modification like came from the factory. The hole you describe sounds like the size in a unmodified bucket . The hole is almost twice that size on a genuine bucket modified at SA for a 67 Shelby consequently the rubber grommets you describe will be incorrect also.

5. 67 Eight barrel

67 Eight barrel New Member

Bob:
    The unmodified hole in a Ford bucket is about .750, which wouldn't pass the headlamp connector. The modified hole is 1.250. The inboard headlamp bracket holes are only 1.750. So there is roughly .250 difference from the outside diameter where the bucket bolts to the bracket.
    I will post pictures when they come back from being bead blasted.

Bob, here is a quick question while I address this: Have you seen the inboard wires held in place with the factor wiring harness straps in the past? The vehicle was completed in Dec '66.

Dan

6. Bob Gaines

The hole in the headlight buckets modified by SA are typically 1.50 . The zip ties used on the amp gauge harness were used on some of the earliest cars to hold the inboard wire harness at the hood latch bracket before changing over to the gray wire clips. A Dec 66 car would typically have had the gray wire clips from my observations..