Join Shelby Forums Today

How do you edit a post ?

Discussion in 'General Website Info & Help' started by Jimmy, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Jimmy

Jimmy Active Member

I'd like to edit a post I have in lost and found and add/delete info that is pertinent to the listing. I can't seem to find any info in the FAQ's section. Can someone please help ?

Thanks, Jim

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

You mean this one from 2008

3. mrmustang

Bottom right hand corner of the post you should see an "edit post" button.

Of course being as old as it is, your ability to edit it may be gone as it has hit the archives

4. Jimmy

Jimmy Active Member

Yes, Mr. Mustang, that's the post I'd like to edit however there is not an edit button in the bottom right hand corner or anywhere around the post for that matter. Also, oddly enough, I do not have an edit button anywhere in the text area or outside of it for this most recent post. Maybe my settings are eliminating the edit button ?

Can an admin either edit the post for me or just delete it so I can re-post the correct info ?

Thanks, Jim

5. mrmustang

Because so much time has elapsed, the post has archived. (I checked one of mine from the same time period, no edit function available).

However, you can add to the bottom of the original post if you want to update things and keep it all in the same thread.

Bill S.

rshelby likes this.
  6. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Bill is correct. Posts are locked after a period of time. You can post another message after to make any corrections.

Randall

7. Jimmy

Jimmy Active Member

Randall,

If I can't edit it, can I delete it in it's entirety ? or would it be possible for the admins to delete the post and/or complete thread ? I find it hard to believe that it's etched in stone when the whole idea of computers is flexibility.

Thanks, Jim

8. mrmustang

Jim,

While I am not Randall, I am a moderator on several other forums, the idea of deleting something for the sense of making the history disappear is moot on a forum that gets archived in search engine servers like google. The post could be removed here, but it will stay there forever, making the removal here a moot point.

My advice, if you need to start from scratch, do just that, leave the old post archived deep in the server, and start a new, clean, crisp, well written, and up to date thread and move on from there.

Good luck with your search.

Bill S.