Join Shelby Forums Today

Shelby ME3000 mid-engined car built with Chrysler engine by Steve Hitter/Barry Gale

Discussion in 'Shelby Dodge' started by bitzman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Johnny Spiva, of PolyBushings, has a nice web page showing the mid-engine car made by AC called the ME3000

http://www.polybushings.com/pages/3000.html

Toward the bottom of the page he shows a blue and silver one with different bodywork designed in Los Angeles by two entrepreneurs who hoped to go into business with Shelby selling that body on that chassis to Chrysler so they loaned him their prototype and Shelby put in a Chrysler four and showed it to Iacocca who was not impressed so I think it went back to the two developers, who went on to other careers.

My question is:
    does anyone have a good picture of this car taken in person? I would be happy to trade some Cobra prints (from original paintings) for one good picture in good focus. Also Spiva says that he saw it advertised in Autoweek for $50,000. I don't remember that ad. Does anybody else? LIke to know year and date and see a copy of the ad.

I think Shelby was hoping history would repeat itself--American engine, AC chassis, Shelby supervising, but it didn't fit Chrysler's plans at the time.

glhs0075 likes this.
  2. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

Re: Shelby ME3000 mid-engined car built with Chrysler engine by Steve Hitter/Barry Ga

I remember the reports of the ME3000 trying get a Shelby/Chrysler connection. The endeavor failed so there never was a "Shelby" ME3000 vehicle that was endorsed, sponsored, designed or otherwise associated with Carroll Shelby. No records exist on something that was never contracted so the title to this post is misleading.

Good work in in noting the AC 3000 effort. Classic Motor sports reported on it a long time ago. I do not have the issue.:cool:

3. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Beg to differ, if you go by the autographed picture

Thw previous poster says "The endeavor failed so there never was a "Shelby" ME3000 vehicle that was endorsed, sponsored, designed or otherwise associated with Carroll Shelby. No records exist on something that was never contracted so the title to this post is misleading."

Well everyone has seen the black & white photo of Shelby standing next to the blue and silver ME3000 at the Chrysler Performance Center

http://polybushings.com/images/ACShelbyAutograph.jpg

and I ask is that not Der Snakemeister's signature?. His "sponsorship" consisted only of having this outside effort dolled up to show to Iacocca. But saying no records exist is presuming a lot when the engine was changed a couple of times at the Performance Center I am sure records were made, and may exist at Chrysler Engineering. You don't burn up hundreds of man hours at a major Corporation with no records being generated. I think this was just another back door effort like the Panteras Shelby had equipped with Chrysler V8s. If he couldn't get a project green lighted, it was like it never happened only in this case there are those pictures. I predict this car will come to auction eventually as a documented Shelby prototype, in which case you will have to eat those words. Never say never...

4. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

Re: Shelby ME3000 mid-engined car built with Chrysler engine by Steve Hitter/Barry Ga

"Shel had his name initially on a number of projects through his life. His phone was always ringing. But a number of projects like the ME3000 never became Shelby authorized or licensed vehicles in the end.

Another example is the single "continuation: 1966 GT350 convertible that comes up for sale every few years and even has an unauthorized Shelby VIN plate. It was on the cover with CS of "Mustangs & Fords" (9/1991) and received a lot of initial endorsements, signatures and such. Heck, even the Shelby Foundation has sold copies of press photos of CS and the car. But Shelby pulled out of the project and the car is not recognized as a Shelby licensed vehicle. The only recognized continuation 1966 GT350 convertibles were the dozen done by Beverly Hills Mustangs in the 1980s.

But the stories of these various projects with Shelby's involvement are still interesting.
    :cool: