Join Shelby Forums Today

69 Shelby GT500 detailing questions

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by john428, Oct 27, 2014.

1. john428

john428 Member

We are in the process of restoring our 69 GT500 convertible, and I have a couple of questions, first I read somewhere that the master cylinder and cap were painted black, however ours appears to have been silver, this car was purchased new in 69 and never restored until now, it only had approximately 41,000 miles when relegated to the garage. The other question I have is I seem to recall reading somewhere that the cardboard sleeve and label for the ss tire inflator bottle was available for purchase? I am attaching several pictures for comments, any help would be appreciated. IMG_2316resize3d.jpg shelbymartireport 012resized.jpg P1130120.JPG shelbymartireport 010resized.jpg

2. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Based on your picture, it appears the car has some work done. the smog controls are missing. so, I suggest, that either the cap was replaced or the fluid removed the paint.

3. john428

john428 Member

As far as we can remember, the cap was never replaced, the emission components were removed shortly before the pic was taken and have since been rebuilt/repaired and re-installed on finished motor. Shelby new top and interior 013.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. Coralsnake

okay, a close up of the cap and its writing maybe in order

5. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Interesting that speaking of painting that the shade of the poweresteering pump in the pre restoration differs to the restored version. Two types of pumps were used on the Dearborn line where the 69/70 Shelbys were built. A Ford Thompson unit which was typically a teal blue with a unpainted zinc plated dipstick. The second was a TRW unit that was painted black with the dipstick painted while installed on the pump (bare metal witness line underneath on neck) . It appears the TRW black type with painted dipstick was in the pre restoration picture and the Ford Thompson blue one in the post restoration picture.

6. john428

john428 Member

actually the power steering pump is original, just painted incorrectly. I will fix that, thanks.

7. Bob Gaines

My point being I suspect the same is true for the unpainted master cap that is typically painted. PO (past owner) adjusted for exactly the same reason that was demonstrated with the P/S pump color. With that said you have not posted a close up picture of the cap as Coralsnake had asked .

8. john428

john428 Member

will post pic tomorrow, but as I said in initial post, we purchased car new in shelbymartireport 012resized.jpg 1969!

9. john428

john428 Member

master cylinder cover 005.jpg here are a couple of pics of the Master cylinder cap! master cylinder cover 009.jpg

10. Coralsnake

11. Bob Gaines

So then are you saying that the powersteering pump color was the only detail that you could have possibly forgotten about during your 45 years of ownership?;)