Join Shelby Forums Today

Two early '65 Shelbys in thi JUne 14, 2014 s article on www.mustang.org

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by bitzman, Jul 25, 2014.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Here's their story with very good color pictures: http://www.mustang.org/content.php/...l-Shelby-GT350-Mustang-Prototypes-to-Meet-Up?

Here's a bit of the story which goes on for several pages:
    By the early 2000s, Hovander had owned several Boss 302 and Shelby Mustang models, while also helping the then-owner of 5S003 with some extensive research on the history of the car. It turned out that in 1979, because of modifications by the original owner in 1965, 5S003 was thought to have originally been a race car, and it was restored as an R model and used for vintage competition for the next 13 years.
    “In part, the confusion was fueled by production records that were missing until they were discovered in Carroll Shelby’s attic in the mid-1980s,” said Hovander. “After 5R002 was rediscovered in Monterrey, Mexico, and the original Ford and Shelby serial numbers were verified from old records, we realized 5S003 was never supposed to be a factory R model.”
    After its successful racing career that included a debut victory in the hands of the late Ken Miles at Green Valley, Texas on Feb. 14, 1965, 5R002 eventually wound up in Monterrey. Following a two-year search, Mark Gillett of Dallas located the race car in 1989, purchased it and brought it back to Texas. Some years later, it was sold to Steve Volk, owner of the Shelby American Collection museum in Boulder, Colorado."
    ----------------------------
    I am sure both cars have been covered in magazines but I missed the articles so am just curious
    if in those stories it was told what 5R002 was sold from Mexico back to the U.S. and what year it had been imported to Mexico. And no I don't have a registry (that always comes up...).

Incidentally their writer asks at the end about 001? I knew a magazine editor who said he had the first Shelby Mustang and he sold it around the early '70s after some years of storage. His name was John Christy. Maybe that's a clue where someone could start. It was in his daughter's yard in Van Nuys under a tree when found. I think he wrote about a coast to coast run in it in Sports Car Graphic